First time builder and wont first time start. pls help me

GoldenMotor.com

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
I think Len may have it... the right question...
Still if there isn't a drop of fuel weather in the tank or carburetor, the engine should of started when starting fluid was used. The OP said he used starting fluid. First we need to get it to start even if its for a few seconds, then go on to the fuel. Start with the timing first, it's the easiest.

dragray

Mar 10, 2012
Indiana
that's exactly what i was saying before.
if it won't run on starting fluid then i bet there's a timing issue.
if an engine won't run on starting fluid, either the timing is off, or there's no compression (which would be totally obvious)

ALcycle

Apr 12, 2012
pa
it flows good.

there is a filter

it is the correctly mixed gas

regardless of the fuel and its deilevery......why would it not even run for a few seconds on the ether starting spray even if it wasnt getting the gas

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
No spark at the correct time = no bang inside the combustion chamber.
Starting fluid still needs spark to go bang.

It could be a bad spark plug, wrong spark plug gap, weak CDI or magneto, poor connection in the spark plug wire to CDI or spark plug boot.
Just because you get a good spark when the spark plug is resting on the cylinder head does not mean it is strong enough to spark in the environmental conditions of compression inside the combustion chamber. That takes more energy than just sittin' around on the cylinder head.

If the spark plug is dry as I read earlier in this thread, the fuel bowl is filling and the float is controlling the fill to the correct level, have you check the fuel jet?
Maby the factory forgot to drill the metering hole in it? Maby it is waaay too small? I have seen stranger things before...
Still... no bang while using starting fluid has me thinking something is bad with the ignition system somewhere.

Last edited:

ALcycle

Apr 12, 2012
pa
What is the correct sprk plug gap?

I'm Gonna replace boot wire and gap plug, soder connection and try that

thanks all. I'm amazed at all knowledgeable advice and fast responses here, it's great!

Will let y'all know

I took nut of magneto and I think it is where it needs to be, notch at 1 o clock at TDC. Plus, it came with sprk plug in it that has been fired, so I think it would have been started in china.....or they throw in a used plug, who knows.

Also, that plug has three points pointing in for spark to jump from,
It also came with a second plug with the one point to rod I am accustomed to seeing, either one, I've tried, and no dang boom boom

dragray

Mar 10, 2012
Indiana
ok, if you think the timing looks right (the magnet location) and you are getting spark, pull the carb apart and check the main jet.
what gearnut said is true, a spark plug will spark much easier when it's layng on the head. add in compression and all that and it's harder for the plug to make a hot enough spark to fire the fuel.
do you have anything hooked to the white wire? (a headlight perhaps). if so, get rid of it and cut the white whire off. any time you connect something to the white wire, it pulls power away from the cdi. you can still get spark, but it won't be enough to fire the engine.
get rid of the stock spark plug wire and put an automotive wire on it with a rubber boot, and go to an ngk plug.
seriously, if it has spark at the right time, it should have fired on starting fluid.
you may have a bad plug, a bad wire, a bad cdi, a weak magneto, a wire grounding out somewhere...it can be a number of things at this point.
I would pull the carb apart, check the main jet and make sure nothing is blocked. then, i'd swap out the plug and wire and check the wiring.
this thing should run if you have fuel, spark at the right time, compression and air.

ALcycle

Apr 12, 2012
pa
WELP.....it was the clutch. it would turn engine enough so i say thats good. but not tight enough to turn it ever time when going down hill.

thanks every one

dragray

Mar 10, 2012
Indiana
man, you NEVER said that it wouldn't turn over when trying to roll it down a hill!
here we all assumed that it was turning over fine while trying to start it!
if you had only said that they engine DOES NOT SEEM TO BE TURNING OVER WHILE TRYING TO START IT, we would have nailed it to being the clutch right away.

ALcycle

Apr 12, 2012
pa
i didnt say is wouldnt turn over, cause it WAS turning over, i can only assume not every time, but enoulgh that i could hear it cycle, to putt putt putt putt all the way down the hill

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Thanks VERY much for coming back and telling us what the problem was, AL!

It's important because it helps us diagnose problems, long distance. :)

There's a surprising number of new joiners that we never hear from again!

We'll look forward to hearing about your next chinagirl problem. lol
There's a flock of 'em that will crop up.
All of us are betting they probably won't be big ones, though. :)

Have fun!
rc

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
if the magnet was installed backwards (i.e. flipped over) wouldn't the timing be 180 off ? (well, maybe not 180 off to be exact) since the keyway is "timed", if it was installed backwards that "timing" would be way off.
look at the pic, the key slot is not in the center. imagine the magnet installed flipped over.....the timing would be off.

When the magnet is horizontal with the keyway facing up (180 degrees from what is shown in that picture) the keyway should be pointing to approximately 1 o'clock position, if it is pointing back at ~11 o'clock the magnet is on backward and timing will be off. Other than making sure the magnet is on the right way there is nothing to be done with the timing (with a stock motor).

Wally

Dec 25, 2011
South Africa
GOT IT! Plug out motor turns over with a fat spark. Put plug back go down hill to start it. Compression too high for clutch, won't start ............ see easy...... :)