Clutch cable ripping out

GoldenMotor.com

mikew5th

Jul 12, 2010
USA
Has anyone else had this problem with the cluch housing ripping apart right by the handle?
This isn't the first time this has happened to me?

Is it just a bad cable? or something else?
Any thoughts to remedy the problem from happening again would be greatly appreciated.
thanks

Attachments

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Has anyone else had this problem with the cluch housing ripping apart right by the handle?
This isn't the first time this has happened to me?

Is it just a bad cable? or something else?
Any thoughts to remedy the problem from happening again would be greatly appreciated.
thanks
How hard is the pull on the handle. There are solutions to decrease the amount of pull and less tension on the cable.

mikew5th

Jul 12, 2010
USA
its not hard to pull, but I've never used another one, just this one that I've built, so I guess I dont have anything to compare it too

blazingoutcast

Mar 28, 2012
st. cloud mn
Just find a standard brake cable off another bike n replace the sheath and cable that's what i did cuz my clutch cable bound up inside ruining it cheap easy fix all is not lost

mikew5th

Jul 12, 2010
USA
thanks, thats what I did last time it did that same thing, I just want to avoid it happening again, especially when I'm far from home

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
By any chance does the cable get stretched when the front wheel is turned full in either diresction, as when the bike is parked? Your failures aren't normal, even with a hard to pull clutch. It looks to me as if the cable is being pulled/stretched for some reason.

Make sure when you replace it next time to leave some slack in the cable housing and no sharp bends or kinks anywhere along its length. Don't tie it down too tight with tie-wraps or clamps.

Tom

Cavi Mike

Dec 17, 2011
Rochester, NY
The barrel has too large of a hole in it and it's drawing the cable housing through it. The problem isn't going to be remedied with a whole new cable unless it comes with a steel ferrule. You need a new barrel with a hole closer in diameter to the wire or you need a steel ferrule.

mikew5th

Jul 12, 2010
USA
hey guys, thanks for all the advice, i put a whole new cable on there, and greased it up too, no kinks, and its alot better now
i noticed that the handle was a little loose too, and was hitting the cable a little awkward, i attatched a pic so you can sort of see what i mean

Attachments