My first build: 1912 Indian

GoldenMotor.com

brett7777

Aug 19, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
Im finding this boardtracker section of the forum very interesting, as the standard of the builds seems to be getting better & better, & the builders are raising the bar more & more...

Bugthunder

Nov 6, 2011
Florida
@ silverbear: I'm using a 180mm disc brake on the rear that will bolt through a Top Hat adapter to the hub itself. I'm not sure the Sturmey Archer front brake will be up to the task but if this thing comes in at under 160 lbs I think it will be adequate.

Anyway, while I'm on the subject; I will take the bike down to Manic Mechanic here in Clearwater and fit one of his adapters on the center of the hub behind the Top Hat to bring the torque load more inside the wheel. That should help transfer both brake load and engine load across the whole hub.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
I have a disc on the rear of my bike, and although it works well and is peace of mind I constantly wish I had a coaster or drum as it looks out of place IMO....... And I know Cobrafreak recommends the bigger Sturmey Archer front drum....... I know it's safer and many may disagree with me but I'd really think whether you want a disc setup on this beautiful ride..... Just my $0.02

Bugthunder

Nov 6, 2011
Florida
I explored motorcycle drum hubs but ran into too many problems finding 22: rims, spokes and such. In the end the disc brake will look about as out of place as the Lifan motor does. Small price to pay for stopping power. If anybody has an idea for a beefy bicycle drum hub I'd consider it!

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
I consider the 90mm Sturmey/Archer to be just a tick under a disk brake. It's the most advanced drum in the world and you can get it with a built in dynamo for lights, or without if you prefer.

Bugthunder

Nov 6, 2011
Florida
I noticed Pat at Sportsman Cycles has a rear hub setup with an integrated sprocket; looks interesting. With the horsepower I will be pulling I wanted to avoid alloy hubs but if it holds up I may change my mind about that...

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
I'm running Pat's rear moped hub drum brake with adapter for using Kart chain rings. It's the bomb. Vintage looks and you can lace it up with 11 gauge spokes.

Bugthunder

Nov 6, 2011
Florida
I finished the rear triangle and started mounting the motor as you can see from the photos. I also started building the tank. I am using a wooden tank jig so I don't have to continually refer to the frame while fabricating the tank. You can see hoe close the tolerances are for my tube cuts; close cut, tight weld.
[/IMG]

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
That's really coming along. Your tank jig is interesting and I very much like the shape of it. Please take a couple more photos as you go along in fabricating the tank. How will you bend the side pieces? What gauge steel is the tank made from? Should make a beautiful tank!
SB

Bugthunder

Nov 6, 2011
Florida
silverbear, I am using 18 gage steel for the tins. I don't have a slip roller so I am using a 5" PVC pipe, cut in half to shape the curved sides of the tank. I will sandwich each panel between the pipe halves and then apply even pressure until I get the arc I'm looking for from each piece.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
silverbear, I am using 18 gage steel for the tins. I don't have a slip roller so I am using a 5" PVC pipe, cut in half to shape the curved sides of the tank. I will sandwich each panel between the pipe halves and then apply even pressure until I get the arc I'm looking for from each piece.
Clever! Oh, I like that. Can't wait to see how it turns out...
SB

charliechaindrive.

Nov 20, 2011
staples mn
I don't have a slip roller so I am using a 5" PVC pipe, cut in half to shape the curved sides of the tank. I will sandwich each panel between the pipe halves and then apply even pressure until I get the arc I'm looking for from each piece.
*coppy, pasted and saved for future usednut

Very nice build!

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
I don't know how I missed this thread, but I am loving this build. You do some mighty fine work sir, and I will be keeping a eye on this one.

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
I was thinking of your build on that tank this moring an had to post up this I used 4 inch exhaust tubing to build my tank its heavier wall an easier to weld on . you may have a hard time getting 18 gauge to bend smoothly an retain its curve the way you described because all steel will want to spring back once you take it out of tension or pressure . just a thought if you havent started making that tank yet . or alternatively a sheet metal shop may roll out your metal , for a few dollars I found one local to me by looking for metal fabrication shops on google . hope this helps .
Gary