Starting Issues -- Clutch related? Engine was flooded

GoldenMotor.com

elusive

Jul 7, 2011
CA
(Raw Motors) HT 2 Stroke -- couple hundred miles.. never any major problems until now

So my bike sat over the weekend unridden and early this week I tried to start her up.. clutch did not seem to grab after I let go of the lever

At a stop, with the clutch engaged (lever unpulled), clutch acts as it should and does not allow wheel to move

Riding down hill, after letting go of the clutch, bike continues as if the clutch is still disengaged (lever pulled)

Riding uphill, after letting go of the clutch, clutch grabs and there is normal resistance

I opened up the clutch cover and fuel spills out. Engine must have been flooded over the weekend (petcock as open) so I cleaned the pads and degreased the clutch plate .. still have the same issues

Anyone have any idea of what's going on? Thanks!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Sounds like you didn't get the clutch pads clean enough. Try a product called Brake Clean, made for cleaning automotive disc brake parts. It's a strong solvent that degreases well. Spray it on, let it soak in, then repeat a couple of times. Air dry or if you have access to an air compressor, use a blow gun. Give it a few minutes to air dry again then reassemble things. Don't start messing around with the flower nut until you're sure the pads are oil/grease free and then check your clutch cable tension. Get back to us if cleaning the clutch doesn't help.
As far as fuel filling/flooding the engine, check your fuel petcock and the float in the carburetor. The float valve might be stuck open with dirt or the float might be cracked, filled with fuel and sunk.
Tom