If only I had the time

GoldenMotor.com

Cyclin

Jul 4, 2011
California
God, I wish I could weld. That would give me so much more options when doing almost ANYTHING on my bike. Oh, to be a welder...

Anybody remember those books on tape that you would listen to in your sleep that would teach you thingS? Never tried them but if they worked I'm gonna have to find a welding one. Sleep is the only time I am not real busy and even then it gets interrupted nonstop.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Audio books are great. I've listened to hundreds in my life but learning to weld by listening to someone describe it is like learning to catch fish by watching the fishing channel.
You'll need hands on experience to master the techniques involved.
Bite the bullet, purchase a nice little wire feed (MIG) machine and teach yourself. Once the basics are mastered you'll never regret it. Leave the audio books for entertainment and those cold winter evenings. The garage/shop is where you'll learn to weld.
Tom

Cyclin

Jul 4, 2011
California
Ya i figured as much. Was not serious about learning to weld through literature. My boss says I can learn to weld at work so I have a place to practice. One of our guys there is a ROCKIN welder but hes only certified in Mexico so here in CA he's our all around handiman. I just need to find the time to practice and I am sure I can get the hang of it. We have a couple really nice utility trucks decked out for welding and some floor models at work, just haven't had ANY spare tine. Baby on the way and all that

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Get yourself a good MIG welder and follow this guy.
weldingtipsandtricks dot com.
He has a bit of a potty mouth so I purposely did not leave the link intact.
The fellow really knows his stuff though and is a pretty good teacher. If you practice what he shows you will soon become better than the average book reader.
.weld

Last edited:

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
\ Id take up the offer to learn at work for free and get tha hang of it then get yourself a welder. May be able to make some extra $ if you guys offer welding and you end up being any good at it.

CroMagnum

Sep 2, 2011
Los Angeles
The best advice I can give you is take a class.

Every time I find a skill that I need, I start looking at the local community colleges and adult occupational centers. I took a couple of welding classes years ago and now I have a torch and MIG welder. And while I would never claim my welds are always the prettiest, I've never had anything I welded break in use. I can't tell you how nice it is to walk out to the garage, chop up some metal, and weld it into a piece of useful hardware.

Recently I became disgusted with the prices air conditioning repairmen charge, so I took some night classes. Now that 3-ton split system home AC retrofit that was going to cost me over $12k is now down to about $2k in parts if I do the work myself. Plus I've been making money doing some part time HVAC work on the side.

I'm busy, too. Trying to work and pay bills in this lousy economy, upgrading this fixer-upper house, MB projects, and looking after elderly parents. But I managed to set aside 2 or 3 hours a couple nights a week and finished the night classes. And, more importantly, acquired another skill that will not only save me money, but sometimes actually makes me money, too.

So start looking at those adult education courses and you'll be amazed at how fast you'll pick up the new skills you need.

Acraze

May 13, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I have been wanting do do the same, but I'm
Not as inclined as others. I asked my cuz if he would teach me the ways because he took a small class. Gotta learn mig, tig and arc welding apparently.

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
Local school district uses the schools for programs. At one time they offered a welding class taught by the Career Education teacher. I learned to stick weld, bought a small buzzbox and went from there. I'm fluxcore welding, prob run over 100 pounds of wire through my little Century welder :)

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
I took some welding at a junior college and liked it but found my nitch in HVAC. Now I am back to welding to complete some of the builds I have and I like it....

Cro its nice you have learned a new trade let me know if you need any help or advice on that A/C and heat. 31 years in the trade...