Dax RT Carb Loose/Leaking

GoldenMotor.com

Cyclin

Jul 4, 2011
California
Hey guys I have a gas leak problem I was hoping for some advice on. So I have a Dax RT carb installed on my 2-stroke 2nd build. Love the carb's throttle response and added power but I am starting to have some leaking issues. Gas is now leaking from the carb and pooling just under it near the clutch arm.

The carb has been tightened as far as possible to the intake and permatex-ed where it clamps on the intake. There is no gas on the bottom side of the intake so I know where it is clamped is not what is leaking. However, the carb is still loose enough to turn slightly by hand. Has anybody else experienced these carbs loosening on the intake over time?

Anyway back to the leak. The bottom of the carb is definately where the carb is dripping from. I had read somewhere that some people slightly bend the float arm and seal up some area of the carb to fix this. I have not tried this and was hoping for more detailed instructions/ideas on how this is done. I have been shutting off the fuel valve after every ride to minimize how much is leaked but would like to fix the problem once and for all. Thanks guys!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
You need to check your float to see if it is shutting off the fuel flow. The float operates a valve which might be your problem if there is dirt keeping the valve from closing properly. The float bowl, the black plastic part could also be leaking. There is a gasket but I typically seal that gasket with a gasoline resistant sealer because the gasket can allow some seepage even when the bowl screws are tightened properly.

As far as the carburetor being loose on the intake manifold, this is another place where a gasoline resistant sealer will cure the problem. The RT carb uses a plastic sleeve in the throat to seal against the intake manifold but there can be situations where it needs some help for an air tight seal. Read the lablel of whatever product you choose and make sure it is compatible with gasoline. Many silicone based products are not.
Good luck.
Tom

Cyclin

Jul 4, 2011
California
Thanks for the info guys I will go grab some on my way home from work. Where do you think I could pick some up? I called Ace Hardware after some Googling but they said they don't carry it.

EDIT: Nevermind Home Depot says they have it.

Last edited:

Cyclin

Jul 4, 2011
California
Ya that's what my brother was saying when I called him. He's an auto-mechanic and I'm the IT guru, so we trade off on our respective knowledge. For instance last night he replaced some disc brakes in my wife's Toyota while I hacked his xbox and soldered a new DC power jack onto his roomate's laptop haha.

Cyclin

Jul 4, 2011
California
Alright so I bought some Seal-All on my way home from work. Took off the engine and found that my mount spacer was broken in half. Had a spare, replaced the hardware, and some rubber sheet to put under each mount and hooked it all back up. I am pretty sure the idle screw was tightened way too far in so I loosened that up and cleaned the float and all around it. Sealed the float bowl with the Seal-all, sealed where it clamps on the intake, then a little more on the outside of where it meets the intake after I got her all tightened up.

Now to let it set and dry and time to test tomorrow morning! Well that, and wait for my SBP expansion chamber to get here! Ahh *drool*

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
If you want your mounts to last without breaking a stud or worse, and reduce your chances of having chain alignment problems in the future, loose the rubber under each mount as quickly as you can.
Do a search on this site concerning rubber mounting in frame engines with factory mount blocks. It is quite possibly the worst thing you can do... :(

Cyclin

Jul 4, 2011
California
Don't worry I read it, searched, and applied that info the same hour he posted haha. I hadn't tried the rubber sheets until that day and after searching it on this forum I REALLY shouldn't have done that. Glad my bike made it to work and back so I could take them out. I have to get a new u bolt mount cause it will make the engine sit in better alignment cause the one I have is for a 1.6" front mount and the new engine is a 1.9"

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Glad to hear that disaster was averted!
It is easy to make your own mount, or you could buy a generic one from SBP, or get a custom one made for a very fair price from Al.Fisherman.

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
I have 4 of them RT type carbs & they sometimes have a drop of fuel on the bottom of the bowl covers. The 2 screws that hold the bowl cover on seem to cause some flexing of the non-screwed areas & I'm sure the leaking comes from that issue. I try to loosen the screws and slightly wiggle adjust the cover & then tighten them back up without over torquing them. Most of the time that fixes my drippy drops.
-Lowracer-

Cyclin

Jul 4, 2011
California
Glad to hear that disaster was averted!
It is easy to make your own mount, or you could buy a generic one from SBP, or get a custom one made for a very fair price from Al.Fisherman.
Ya I usually use the one from SBP. I have had nothing hut good experiences with that mount and will be buying the larger sized one today.

Cyclin

Jul 4, 2011
California
Well I just got back from a 10 mile ride at 5mph. My carb was so loose that any time I revved faster than 5mph it would rotate counterclockwise.