Bicycles4Kids Needs Your Help

GoldenMotor.com

Pappy

Apr 19, 2009
Anderson, IN.
Hi Motorbicyclest,

Pappy here, It's been awhile since my last post on Motorbicycling.com, Ive been really busy with Bicycles4kids collecting old bikes and restoring them to give to kids who's families can't afford to buy them one, Ive been doing this for four years now, and I love it, there is nothing greater then bring a smile to a child's face when you tell her/him that you have a bike to give to them. The thing is that I do this for free, no cost to them what so ever.

The reason for this post is, I'm asking for your help, I'm 49 will be 50 this November, and Dr.Heckard my heart doctor said I can't be pedaling my bike anymore, I had a motorized bicycle, but it was stolen awhile back, I used it for towing a trailer to collect donated bikes and parts. the Anderson City Police Department gave a bike to the shop so that I can continue helping kids. My doctor said I have Carotid artery disease and if I continue biking I will have a stroke or worse.

I enjoy what I do with Bicycles4kids, its all I have, I'm not allowed to work a real job anymore and I filed for disability which can take years to go through.

I was in Chat last night seeking help with my problem, Ernst and a few of the guys suggested I put up a post asking for help, so I am.

I'm asking if there is anyone willing to donate a engine kit to Bicycles4kids so that I may continue my work, it doesn't have to be from one person, it can be parts from many to complete a hole kit, I know it sounds like I'm begging, to be truthful I am. I have around 23 families who have sign up for bikes for 2012 and I need to go around collecting all the bike parts I can find.

Will you guys please discuss this, and see if you can help me?

Thank you for taking the time to read this

David Bates (Pappy)

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Do you have a paypal account. I can't afford much, but I will pay pal you a few bucks to help you along. I too have heart disease and should have been dead 15 years ago. The humble bicycle saved my life. I can't pump up those hills, but with just a little assist from a Weed Whacker motor on the back wheel I can make it just fine.

If you can't get a chain drive kit together, you might want to look at a friction drive DIY Weed eater type drive. Those you might be able to get donated locally and just make the mods. That was the original purpose of working with Weed eaters for me. It was to design something that anyone could build themselves inexpensively and to assist older or ill guys to continue riding.

Maybe cannonball 2 will read this and send you a detailed design for one. I don't have a detailed design anymore mine are just wing it builds now.

Pappy

Apr 19, 2009
Anderson, IN.
Thank you Deacon for reading my plea, No I do not have a paypal account ebay fixed that years ago :(
My wife and I were out of town over night when our garage was broke into, thay took everything, both my MB's, bicycles, tools and even the scrap. I have a few hand tool left that I had in the house, it's enuff to get by for now tho.

Last edited:

Pappy

Apr 19, 2009
Anderson, IN.
Terry, I am very geatful for what ever I can get, I will make it up to you, you have my word, Thank you and God Bless.

David Bates
2736 Jackson St.
Anderson, Indiana.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Pappy,
I'll be able to help towards the end of the month when my check comes in.
Just makes you sick that there are low lifes who would rob someone who is trying to help others.

If the police catch the little weasels they may be on the other side of sorry.

Hope your S.S. goes through in record time.

Steve.

Pappy

Apr 19, 2009
Anderson, IN.
Thank you guys very much, Im in your debt.

I just go's to show me, that there are people out there with a much bigger heart then mine

Pappy

Apr 19, 2009
Anderson, IN.
Well things are starting to come together again, after church services today, the Pastor said they rounded up 15 bicycles and will be dropping them off later today.
Its a start, but I still have a long way to go. :)

RandyWhite

Jul 23, 2011
Idaho
Not much I can contribute. One thing I have learned is that I hate patching tubes. My lbs suggested trying stans no tubes as a slime product and I haven't had a flat tire yet using it.

I even had a friend with a chopper bicycle with a flat tire. Instead of trying to find a 3 inch wide tube, I stuck a bottle in there and just pumped it up.

You can find a video of the stuff in my sig. For kids bikes, you can probably get away with 1 bottle for both tires. At $3 a bottle (at least here) it's better than patching tubes.

And no I am not affiliated, I just love the stuff.

Pappy

Apr 19, 2009
Anderson, IN.
Well, I did it again, and my wife gave me the third degree too. :(

In the pic of the first post on this page are 2 mountian bikes that I donated to another shop here in town, I towed them 5 1/2 miles across town which took me 4 hours to do, I didn't think it would be that hard to do, man was I wrong, by the time I got there I was so weak I could bearly stand, but it had to be done. I haven't had a drivers licance in 13 years, so bikeing is my only way of getting around durning the day. My wife drives to work at a call center in Daleville two towns away and only makes 300 a week bring home, this is what she and I live off of. bless her heart.

I don't normaly donate the adult bikes, but Ben is digging up a bunch of 20in bike parts for me, though it was a good trade.

Pappy

Apr 19, 2009
Anderson, IN.
Its a deal, I grew up in Pensacola, We were thinking about selling the house when it is paid off in about 4yrs and moving back to Florida and open a Bicycles4kids, but not sure about a location yet, I know 2Doors lives around Pensacola, will have to stop in and see him as well.

Pappy

Apr 19, 2009
Anderson, IN.
Well, I guess I'm in the Dog House, my wife chained my bike up, and said I'll have to find another way to collect bike parts, that the Doctor told me Not to be biking. She would have never known if I would have gotten home before she did....I argued the point for about 45min, but that was a lost cause....she win's again, as wives mostly do...lol.
I tried pouting and giving her sad puppy dog eyes for about two days, Not working...she's not giving in this time...damn. but I ain't giving up just yet, muahahah.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I know that feeling well. I have been off the bike since august 3rd when I fell. I go back in a couple of weeks and I think I'm going back to riding regardless what they say.