Noise Coming from Bike when Going Really Fast

GoldenMotor.com

Jaryd

Jun 22, 2011
Seattle, WA
Well today, I was taking my bike out for a spin. And instead of peddaling along with the bike in neutral like I do normally waiting for it to warm up, I gathered some speed, popped the clutch with the choke on, and rode if for about 3 seconds like that then turned the choke off. The bike, to my surprise didn't die or slow down without it being warmed up. I just cruised along like normal without having to warm the bike up at all. But then as I crusied for about 10 or 15 minutes, I realized that when I reach higher speeds a noise starts to erupt from the engine. I can being going relatively fast and then if i twist the throttle even a milimeter more, the noise starts. And if i go back one milimeter, the noise stops. So it seems once i hit this certain speed the noise starts and the bike starts to vibrate. I am wondering if there is something that i caused by not warming the bike up at all before riding it. please, can someone address this problem?

xct2

Texhun

Aug 2, 2011
Rosebud Texas
That's one thing that's all too common with these engines. The same thing happens on mine about midway through the RPMs. At around 28-30MPH it starts vibrating but then past that up to 35-36MPH its fine then when its at 38-39MPH it does it again so don't worry about until you hear ticking sounds and the like.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
At that particular engine speed it is running at the harmonic frequency that increases the vibration. You can try greasing the primary gears to reduce any effect that they may have on the inherent vibrations. Just one blob of high quality grease applied right where the two gears mesh. Don't use more than that or it will just make a big mess inside the gearcase. Also check the tightness of all the fasteners on the engine as well as on the bicycle. Every last one of them. Also check the drive chain for proper free play. 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch total up and down movement measured at the center of the chain run, the one without the tensioner up against it.

On a side note, after I made my "crossover" exhaust I noticed that nearly all of the annoying vibration is gone.
It is amazing just how much the factory exhaust shakes around like a tuning fork hanging off of the cylinder.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
That is typically a sound that indicates a bearing is failing. Before tearing into the engine, be positively sure that the sound is not coming from the bike somewhere. Perhaps something rattling at that particular frequency of vibration.
Loose engine mount, rattling chain guard, rattling fender (if you have them), chain rubbing on the frame, ect.