suspect CDI/Ign issues...need advice

GoldenMotor.com

skippy369

Sep 4, 2011
Maine
2 days ago while riding 2010 Grubee Skyhawk 66/80cc bike, I came to a stop sign and the engine stalled (as it often does at or near idle, never been able to get it to idle worth a damn, usually have to play with the throttle a touch). Once I began moving again, I attempted to start the motor and NOTHING, it still turned over mechanically and with considerable/normal resistance, and an audible sound of throttle changes as I tried to give it fuel from the throttle slide operation. It would (maybe twice) "snap" or "pop" while trying to start it, I figured the gig was up, disengaged the clutch & pedaled home. :) Once home I pulled the plug, evidence of nice burning and good mixture, I checked for compression with the thumb over the plug hole technique and it pulls my thumb tight to the hole on intake and blows it right off on compression. I checked the carb for fuel supply from the tank, evidence of debris or failure, nothing noted. Given the abrupt failure, I'm leaning toward the CDI module, does anyone have suggestions to rule this out??:-||

retromike3

Jan 9, 2009
Beaverton OR
something I tried was to take the plug out, hook it up to the wire/CDI and let the clutch out. then hold up the rear wheel and step on the crank. A quarter turn on the crank should make quite a few sparks on the plug. Watch out though I did see some sparks on my last CDI but it was still not strong enough to kick over the engine.

I later had to change my CDI for one I had gotten with an earlier kit and that one only worked consistently when I soldered the leads together as opposed to the plug-in system it came with.

mike

skippy369

Sep 4, 2011
Maine
I thought maybe keeping the plug in the wire but out of the head would be a good way to check but I'm unsure as to if it would give the true intensity of the spark....I'll try it, I'm also going to do a quick visual of all those elec. connections too. Maybe even double check that the kill switch hasn't shorted itself or something, dont want to spend $ if I dont have to.