Goodbye Hurricane Irene

GoldenMotor.com

timboellner

Apr 1, 2009
Towson Maryland
Irene tore through here and took her grand old time ruining yet another weekend for bike riding. That's 4 weekends in a row with rain.

Irene was a huge storm stretching itself out 500 miles up and down the eastern seaboard, flooding coastal resorts and downing trees and taking out power lines to millions of homes and businesses. I'm sure you'll see it on the news for the next million years.

I consider myself lucky all things considered. The last time I believe it was Hugo that tore the shingles off of our roof and left us without electricity for about 3 days.
This time it only wiped out my wife's insanely 9 foot tall sunflowers that bordered our yard, blocking out the view of our neighbors whom we don't like.
It figures.
Electricity out for only an hour or so during the intense part of the storm in the middle of the night when winds hit 60 mph or so.

There are trees everywhere laying in the streets and a lot of people don't have power. The sound of generators everywhere is strange. Your first reaction is ...who's cutting their lawn in the middle of the night?

I walked the neighborhood and saw someone's poor Honda Accord pinned under a tree smashed out the windshield, and now the street's blocked completely with a big old oak tree.
During the night you could here transformers on telephone poles blowing up left and right, probably 7 or 8.. Tree limbs fell on a neighbor's power lines and set the tree on fire. Cool light show.

Now the kids will be off for their first scheduled school day tomorrow.
I guess it'll be awhile cleaning this one up.
I'll be going back to work and telling my boss that the generator that he had more working on last week is not salvageable..(only needs carb and tank cleaned and flushed)
Briggs and Straton 5 horse engine that I want to re-purpose on my next bike build. Maybe something really good will come from this storm after all.

TiM