my bike wont start anymore. please help!

GoldenMotor.com

tonynorris

Jun 27, 2011
illinois
i went out and bought a sparkk plug today, i put it in and it ran. i went around the block and as usual i didnt have the choke just right so when i disengaged the clutch the rpms went ski high, i then proceeded to ride it home which was a few hundred feet away, before i reached the driveway i turned it off. when i went to start it again, there was no compression and not the slightest chance of starting. so far i took off the cylinder bore, checked for broken needle bearing and checked the rings. looks to be in good shape, i also checked out the gaskets and they too are in good shape. why is there no compression anymore? and why wont it kick over? please help!

JIM4887

Aug 27, 2011
dixmoor il
Hi i just got my 2011 Grubee and installed it on my mountian bike my back wheel wont turn and i cant pedal to get it started i check the chain it is in place. Can anyone tell what else can i do before i get an slugg hammer!!!! Thanks

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
WoW !

Two of 'em stacked, with not enough information on either!

Jim, this is brand new? 1st install ?

R u able to post any pics?

pull the master link and disconnect chain from the rear sprocket for starters and see if you can pedal the bike, first.

Tony, I see where you have 12 posts I have not read... are they also dealing with probs on a new build? I'll read them.

The part that bothers me is yo u very quickly went to dismantling the top end without report in this post of diagnostic steps you had taken along the way to lead you to believe the problem was deeper...

...'as usual with the choke adjusted' ... what's up with that?
a choke is kinda for just the first start of the motor, so you can allow it to warm up before actually operating it. many people attempt to operate with the choke on, and that is forcing things and NOT good for the motor!

...with my own cns choke disabled, my 48cc will start in abt 20ft of pedaling, and run marginally for a few hundred feet, easily, downhill before it will accept more throttle as it warms up.

I can't imagine why you have already gotten to some point where you are already inspecting needle bearings!

Would you pls describe your mechanical skill level and experience on 2 stroke engines?

Difficult for me to imagine zero compression without something noticeably wrong...

Are you able to post pics of components?

Norm has great threads on engine tear-down and rebuild.

Best
rc

JIM4887

Aug 27, 2011
dixmoor il
When then motor chain is off i can pedal but when the motor is connected i cant pedal and i broke 2 links trying that i will fix to day Ihave tried with the clutch in and out. yes this is new!!!!zptzptzpt

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
When then motor chain is off i can pedal but when the motor is connected i cant pedal and i broke 2 links trying that i will fix to day Ihave tried with the clutch in and out. yes this is new!!!!zptzptzpt
Without the chain on and with the spark plug removed, take a socket and turn the nut holding the magnet on. And see if the piston will move. Then if it will, replace the spark plug and repeat.

Last edited:

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
Tony first. Before you take it apart post us first. I have seen many times the head bolts come loose from the factory. No compression. Air leak thru the carb does that too. Put it back together and re try it. About 12 pounds on the head bolts. Don't over tighten them they will strip out of the block! Then let us know. (c)

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
Jim Your next. Your clutch is not adjusted tight enough. Take two set of pliers One on the clutch cable and the other near the arm. Pull it tight. Hold it there and tighten down the screw. It should have a small amount of play. You will feel it when it dis engauges. (c)

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
I'm gonna go with ST on this one, first try.... :)

the 'broke two links' part was indeed interesting... I guess you mean 2 links on the bicycle pedal chain???

like st sez, tighten up on that clutch til it will dis-engage and you can pedal.

we see what results you get...

Gosh what a great resource this mb forum is!

I'm gonna go out and tear up my own!!!
rc

tonynorris

Jun 27, 2011
illinois
rc thanks for the reply, i dont have pics and i dont have a cam but i can say that i found that i have no spark and maybe i imagined there was no compression. i ordered a new cdi so im starting there. i also pulled out the plug, carb and exhaust to check things out before i took off the head, so i didnt jump rite into it. and straddle, u were rite, either i loosened one of the head bolts from the head nut or it was comin gloose by itself, but i tightened it down and put it all back together. still the same compression, but like i said it could just be in my head. il know forsure when my cdi comes in. il keep yall updated. thanks again

tony

tonynorris

Jun 27, 2011
illinois
rc, i forgot, i have my choke lever out to about three little notches on the trigger mechanism, it keeps my rpms at certain ranges, but i find that it likes to move when im riding so sometimes it will be balls out and when i disengage the clutch the rpms shoot ski hi.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Hey Tony!

LOL
You got more energy than I can keep up with!

...Something is adjusted wrong in the carb.

You should never use the choke except for a very few feet right at the first cold start.

:) any other time is, well, wrong.

Pls enjoy reading about carby battles in the repair section here...
Most of us love to hate 'em!
Fascinating little things, they are!

Probably first on the list, though, is your cylinder head...
If you have acorn nuts you should replace them with a nice grade 8 from your local hardware store. The acorn cylinder head nuts have the worst reputation, far and wide !
At least, temporary, put one extra flat washer under each one of them to assure the nut is not bottoming out up inside it's dome and giving you a false reading when tightening it.

...there's plenty of things to fiddle with before scrapping your cdi, also...
First, cap off the white wire, next, disconnect the kill switch... at least until you get the motor running well, otherwise.

Good luck
rc

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Not sure, Jim, but you should probably replace that master link AFTER resolving possible alignment problems with the front and rear sprockets. It's probably toast, and the chain might be twinkled, too.
Best
rc

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
Ok Jim, I doubt you have a bike lift so find a spot to make the bike stand up like your riding it. If the Master link your using is too wide for the chain it may hit the case. Make sure it's the right one. Now for the Rocket Engineer part. Plop your behind on the floor looking at the chain. Facing the bike on the side. Look at the chain. If it looks level on top where it feeds into the motor from front to back it's ok. Roll the wheel and check it again. I use a bread tie around a link to see if I looked at the whole chain. If it's out of align take a Cresent wrench and move it to where you think it's twisted. Twist it GENTLY till it's level. Chains are junk on these kits. Then let me know. :)