please help

GoldenMotor.com

smileymale

Jul 18, 2010
oshawa
my friend has a SkyHawk GT5 66cc/80cc Angle Fire Slant Head. was working fine one night and the next it just wont start. we checked the cdi, wires, clutch, just lost at what it might be, someone got any ideas??

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
It needs three things to run.
Fuel, air and an ignition source.
Start with the fuel flow from tank to carburetor.
Check the choke. Is it open all the way?
Remove the spark plug, lay it against the cylinder head fins and push the bike forward at a good pace, clutch engaged, plug wire attached, while watching for spark at the plug's electrodes.
Confirm you have those three things then get back to us with what you find.
Tom

smileymale

Jul 18, 2010
oshawa
thats the thing we engage the clutch it sounds like it wants to start but just wont tho. i unscrewed the pot on the cab there gas in there so its getttin gas also

Aug 2, 2011
San Diego, Califronia
1. Check fuel from tank to carb. There could be fuel going through, but if there is an obstruction, the flow wont be fast enough and the engine would bog and die.

2. Check the Carb. Clean the entire thing out with carb cleaner and an air compressor.

3. Check the Engine. Is the Sparkplug wet? If so, try changing the plug. If that doesnt work, you may have improperly gapped magneto, or a shortage/ground somewhere.

4. Check your fuel/oil mixture. What are you running and at what ratio?

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
gas in the carb's float bowl does not mean it's getting to the engine. the main jet if it's got crap in it, it won't run. slipping clutch will not allow the engine to spin, no turning of the engine equals no start. compression, well I've seen very low compression still start.
1.fire/spark the brighter the spark the better
2.fuel getting into the engine
3.timing spark at the right time
one missing as long as the engine will turn over means no fun.
bad wiring and improper set ups will ruin your day.
always check the simple things first.
lot of fowled spark plugs will spark in open air and not spark in the cylinder. too large of spark gap will do the same thing these engines don't have the fire power of modern ignition systems sure it's a cdi but not much of one. the spark plug more than likely is gaped too much out of the package.
don't believe the instructions 16 to 1 or 24 to 1 fuel/oil mix is too much oil even for break in.
a new engine kit will have all kinds of trash inside all parts of the engine, I've found cigarette butts in one engine and always find metal swarf in them some are just plain junk in the box.
Sand and dirt is always in them. especially the fuel tank they are just nasty!!!

Last edited: