Picked up an Old Time Mini Bike

GoldenMotor.com

TANGO

May 26, 2011
IL
Well today when I was checking the ads on Mini Bike's . I found one and it was not far from were I Live . I got it $120.00 with a code H70 / 7 H.P Tecumseh Engine . Needs a few parts and some Mods to make it a Runner . But it's a Larger size frame with shocks and a Nice size set for Big Kids to ride it Ha-Ha

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
That's nice.

Yeah, I've got a big soft spot for minibikes, I had 2 when I was a kid.

I bought a frame off ebay a while ago and I'm going electric mini!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The frame is very similiar to the old 'DoodleBug'. My dad bought me one when I was about 10. It had a two horse B&S with the cutest little kick start pedal you've ever seen. There was a guy who lived near us who had a Cushman Eagle and we would go riding together around the neighborhood. To me my mini sort of looked like a scaled down Eagle and I thought I was tough $hit on it.
Thanks for the memories.
Tom

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
when i was about 10 some of my friends got mini's and i wanted one soooo baaad! i would follow them on my bicycle but could never keep up they went everywhere on the streets of compton and the L.A. riverbed [ think concrete] they would let me ride theirs a little bit but i had to have one. we were a poor large family and i never had a new bike or anything but if i worked and saved money i could get one, so i did. all i did was work and save. finally i had enough and told my dad! NO WAY! i didn't think you'd save enough but you cant have one! never got one. he thought i'd kill myself but to this day 50yrs latter i've always have something to ride! oh ya! he was right i'd have killed myself.

TANGO

May 26, 2011
IL
dmb I kinda had it Like you when I was growing up . Never had a New bike built all of mine . And some of My friends had Mini Bikes or Go Karts . But when I was 16 and had a car I came across a Mini Bike Frame a Friend had . Then I picked up an old iron block concert mixer Engine not sure what H.P it was ran it direct drive Lock Clutch No Brakes . Man it would go Like **** and slow down a Little on it's own compression and My Shoes that I burn the bottoms off quickly . Then I was Living with My Mom and Step Dad . And No I did not ask if I could have that Mini Bike Ha-Ha . Later on when I first got Married . I built 2 Mini Bikes but they had Brakes the one had a 5 H.P no governor I would take it on the Horse trails that I can say never had Horses on thank God when I was Flying down them . And check this out My Dad now 74 Just built this Mini Bike well I did help him a bit Ha-Ha http://motorbicycling.com/f28/dads-bb-mini-bike-build-30505.html I am excited about My motorized Bike Build . But also Like to Fun around with these Mini Bikes .

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Get a torque converter an peal out with that 7hp Re: Picked up an Old Time Mini Bike

Cast Iron is good. Probably enough power the extra weight not a problem.

I remember compared to Briggs engines both Tecumseh and Clinton engines have more resistance feel it in the recoil starter.

I'm thinking that the equivalent horsepower and displacement on engines can be the same, but if the piston is slightly smaller diameter, then to make up the difference there is a longer throw of the crank. If that is so, maybe those types have more feel of resistance on the recoil start?

I had better starting on those engines than of the Briggs, that is why I mention it. You have a good find!!!

Ofcourse it may be that my current Briggs has better starting since I had the valves and seats recut.

It could have been just the other brands I had were worn at the valves and the angles had less seal. Lapping at a point helps no more and actually makes the seal worse, that’s when I had them cut.

Measure Twice

TANGO

May 26, 2011
IL
Here it is up and Running with a New HF 212cc Engine New Tires Clutch Sprocket chain Brakes Seat and controls .

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
wow so nice. dad's been gone 20yrs now. and i will never measure up to him. back in the late 60's we had all the party's for the boy's [men!] going off to vietnam and we had lot's of them. 2 weeks out of high school if you wern't in collage you got the greetings from the president.[drafted] he alway's said if your old enough to die you old enough to vote and drink! no one ever got a 502 [dui] cause he had the keys. he was only one of two survivors after the torpedo's sank his ship and the shark's had there way. when my 1st nephew was 10 i bought a taco [purple] mini and he didn't get 20 feet before he ran into the back of a car. to this day he does'nt have a lick of common sence...musta got it from his uncle...

timboellner

Apr 1, 2009
Towson Maryland
I'm with you guys on this one. Some of my favorite memories as a kid were riding mini-bikes with my friends. I had an ugly purple p.o.s. that I stripped down, repainted and did all I could to compete with the kids who could afford better minibikes like the Honda mini trails and the Yamaha 60cc mini enduros.
It had a 4 horse Tecumseh and the old scrubber brake that was an aluminum shoe that mashed up against the back tire to stop the thing. I'd love to have that thing now.

I still remember ordering a set of tires at the Sears catalog store and picking them up when they finally came in. Long before internet and Fed X delivery anticipation that's still a thrill for me at the age of 52.

I don't know if you are familiar with Old Mini-bikes.com, but it's a cool website. Make sure you check out the photos and the forum. There's a lot of old timers like us who still love this stuff.

Here's the link:
OldMiniBikes.com Welcome to OldMiniBikes.com - Vintage Mini Bike Community. Forum, Photo Album, Projects and more

TiM

TANGO

May 26, 2011
IL
Yeah I had a Few Mini Bikes in My Younger Years . But I have to say it's just as fun Building one know maybe better Because you Build it with Better Parts . I did check out that site above even Logged in asked for a bit of Help . Sorry to say that Place is not at all Like Here . I had to make do on My own to find out what parts I needed . But I did order some parts from there store that turned out to be first rate stuff . Now I have the Front wheel back off . I ordered New Bearings . After Hot Lapping that Mini one Late Night I would say close to 50 MPH you could hear them rolling Ha-Ha .