Do all kits come with the same accessories?

GoldenMotor.com

tgiracing

Jul 11, 2011
Long Island, NY
Hello all,

Been looking to order a Skyhawk 48CC 2 stroke kit for my daughter who is turning 13 this summer, I figure it’s a great way for her to learn her way around the garage.

At first I had her doing the research and before I knew it she was up to 80CC and still going, so I have opted to do the research and get this thing off the ground.

I have gone through many posts and checked the reviews, it seems my choices are limited as far as 48CC goes and I might end up with a 66CC. But more importantly I am interested in the parts that come with the kits other than the engine, IE: Throttle, Carb, Chain, Kill Switch and so on. I have seen several kits proclaiming premium parts but is the bottom line that they are all the same kits out of China or are these kits assembled by the individual seller?

It would seem that most kits need several parts to be upgraded. So I guess what I am looking for is if a kit costs a few bucks more out of the gate would be better than getting one that has a bunch of useless crap that will need replacement, kind of a pay me now or latter deal.

Example would be GasBike has plenty of cheap kits with base parts, Thatsdax and Spookytoothcycles seem to proclaim better parts . If the latter 2 actually have better accessories I would rather just pony up the bucks now than latter. But that said if it’s all the same I would rather just not give away the extra money just for the fun of it.

Sorry if I have overcomplicated this question I think I have gotten info overload going through the site over the last few weeks trying to get a handle on the project.

So any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Rick

Tacomancini

Mar 18, 2010
Pittsburgh
My skyhawk kit came with broken parts. It really is a luck of the draw it seems. Everyone here will tell you to pick your dealer not the kit, and that is very very true. Some parts are nicer on different kits, but it's all near the low end. I've had two 66cc skyhawk engines. The first ran okay, an 09 model. The '10 seems much more powerful, and that may be due to luck, improved qc, or breaking it in with opti 2 100:1 oil.

I'd say good parts to get.

1 if you have to use the chain tensioner, the most important thing to do is swap the mounting hardware to grade 8 so you can tighten that sucker down, otherwise it could destroy your spokes. The shipping hardware is too weak, don't trust it.

2 the throttle that came with my skyhawk broke immediately. I bought the HD throttle from Sickbikeparts.com

3. The hardware holding the motor together is questionable. I would replace the hardware with the kit from Sickbikeparts, and use blue locktight.

4. If you go with a skyhawk, many folks seem to hate the new CNS carb that comes with it. I'd look for a "Speed" model carb which was a slight update to the "NT" card.

5. You probably need a better mounting hardware solution depending on your bike.

6. Get a better spark plug and spark plug wire and boot from pirate cycles or sick bike parts. Ngk b6hs, or bpr6s. 7 is cooler, 5 hotter.

7. You need to stop, a dual pull brake lever puts both brakes on the right hand leaving the clutch in the other. Pirates and sick bike parts have this.

8. Hopefully you started with a bike with 12 gauge spokes. The rag joint for the rear drive gear is doable on stronger spokes. One day I hope to upgrade to a better drive gear solution. I will either go with manic mechanic's, sportscarpat's, or maybe a Grubee HD wheel from blow by u motors or spooky tooth.

Great Dealers I've ordered from:

Thatsdax.com - stands by his stuff!

Sickbikeparts - these guys push things forward

Piratecycles1.com - free spirits, great attitude awesome stuff and service

Pistonbikes.com. - class acts, got my second skyhawk there

Spookytoothcycles.com - pioneers, politicos, but now transitioning to a new owner

Also beautiful performance upgrades from
Sportscarpat and
Manic mechanic. Both carried by piratecycles

And then you'll want a sick bike parts expansion chamber after break in.

Just my experience and 2 cents but I'm still a noobie.

Last edited:

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
I have had 100% success with kits from BGF
I guess I am the opposite of everyone else here, I pick the lowest price kit, not the dealer.
I am on Long Island also.

tgiracing

Jul 11, 2011
Long Island, NY
Excellent info guys thanks for taking the time to respond!

Tacomancini, I failed to even consider the spokes as an issue thanks for giving me a breakdown of what to focus on.

Rohmell always good to hear from a fellow Long Islander, thanks for the BGF tip.