Gaps in exhaust connection; Does this need to be fixed?

GoldenMotor.com

Mozenrath

Jan 13, 2011
California
Because of the noise and the need for back-pressure, I had to use a copper joint and some bolts to get the muffler to fit on the frame.

This has worked out great, but I noticed that exhaust can come out of the gaps made by the joint and the bolts. So I used some compound for patching car mufflers(I don't remember what it's called). It worked for a short while and then it started chipping off.

Most of it has chipped off now and I was thinking of using JB Weld instead, but then I rode my bike today with most of the stuff taken off and I think because of the gaps the engine has slightly more power going up hills.

I like having the extra power, but is there a reason that I should patch these gaps? They're pretty small and have little effect on the sound and it might be helping me out speed-wise. Could the engine be damaged due to gaps or holes in the exhaust?

usflg

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
I guess you can use regular heater hose to cover the gaps. sick bike parts sells hi-temp silicone hose to cover but I have read here lately that regular hose works just fine. Second option would be to have it brazed, especially if your joining dis-similar metals and want it welded. Another product some use is the red hi-temp silicone gasket maker. It would work pretty good squirted in a overlap gap but not so well if it's end-to-end.

There have been mentions of muffler patch but I haven't used those products in years.

ToxicAz520

Mar 11, 2011
Tucson,Arizona
As DaveC said there are lots of ways to fix it. Now the other thing is if the gaps arent that big then no it isn't hurting anything as long as they are not to close to the exhaust port. Yes they do need back pressure but what you are describing I dont see that it is effecting that to much. I would still recomend sealing the leaks to be safe though and try getting the power a diff way by a better muffler or modifying the one you have.