Weird Engine noises...

GoldenMotor.com

Oddzball

May 16, 2011
USA
"think" this is a differrent forum, figure more folks advice couldnt hurt.

So i took my first major road trip today.

34 miles. I know not very far compared to some of you folks. But anyway good for me since im new to motorized bikes.

I do a lot of work on cars so when i heard this noise my mind filled with dread.. it sounded like the engine was "almost" seizing, it would screech/squeek, felt like it was stalling, then resume normal operation.

I pulled everything off the bike that might be rubbing on say the tire, just to make sure i was actually hearing the noise from the engine, sure enough, that is definately where it was coming from.

I am not to familiar with 2 strokes however..

Is the engine toast or would adding more oil to my gas, stop this problem.

I made the engine run leaner by adjusting the carb to the #3 because of my high altitude, (really improved performance so im sure THAT was a good idea) so maybe now that there is less gas, in a 2 stroke that means less lubricant also correct?

Will adding more oil revive the motor/stop this or is it toast?

I was running 32:1 ratio with good quality 2 stroke oil (Not outboard oil either)

Please any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I was actually trying to NOT run "WOT" to be honest. i was only going about 20.
3/4 Throttle..

SO is it trashed then or...?

Ill add as much more info as i can, engine sounds fine when clutch isnt engaged, and even when it is most of the time it wounds fine, but sometimes, it makes the screech noise...

Thanks for your time folks. I really appreciate all the help I've been getting form these forums.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
I run 40:1 with a regular 2-stroke oil, so I don't think it is your ratio.

You say it makes the noise sometimes with the clutch engaged, so maybe the noise is coming from the clutch portion of the engine rather than the engine itself.

Pilotgeek

Apr 6, 2011
Green Bay, WI
I've had the clutch occasionally sqeual like that if it wasn't adjusted properly. It may be worth looking at adjusting it if you don't find problems elsewhere.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
I have experienced "mini siezures " on several types of 2 strokes including HT engines in the past. I've always let off the throttle as soon as the little siezure starts happening, and in every case,the motors kept running wirh no apparent ill effects. I never heard any schreeching noises,so your casr might mot be engine siezure.

If the motor siezes enough to stop, then you may or may not get it to run without dissasembly.
I have seen cases where they start up and run fine after a mild siezure stopped the engine.