Hard pedal to start up!

GoldenMotor.com

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
I personally run NGK BR7HS, but everyone runs something different, as every bike and every motor are different. Climate and elevation are a major factor in choosing the right spark plug - so if I were you I would take advice based on other riders here in the forum that are in Florida.

maintenancenazi

Oct 22, 2011
Asheville
^^ You did good by first checking the spark plug. That's the first thing I always check when any 2 stroke won't start. I really love this forum, lots of great help and advice. But yea, being in Florida this time of year knowing the temps you have there, I'd say NGK B6HS, BP6HS, I'm sure others will chime in, hope you get her going again soon!

Peace, James

HaloDark

Dec 4, 2022
I bought an 80cc kit and it won't start.. It pedals fairly easy with the clutch locked in and gets hard to pedal when I let off the clutch... can anybody help me figure this out?

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I bought an 80cc kit and it won't start.. It pedals fairly easy with the clutch locked in and gets hard to pedal when I let off the clutch... can anybody help me figure this out?
It's supposed to be that way... Pedal the bike hard & fast & then pop the clutch (& keep pedaling hard)!!! You'll feel & hear the engine turning.

Reactions: Sidewinder Jerry

HaloDark

Dec 4, 2022
It's supposed to be that way... Pedal the bike hard & fast & then pop the clutch (& keep pedaling hard)!!! You'll feel & hear the engine turning.
That's what I've been doing, but it doesn't seem to turn.. should I tighten down the flower nut inside the gear box a little more? Is it possible its something as simple as a bad spark plug? I only paid $98.00 plus tax for my 80 cc kit..

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
That's what I've been doing, but it doesn't seem to turn.. should I tighten down the flower nut inside the gear box a little more? Is it possible its something as simple as a bad spark plug? I only paid $98.00 plus tax for my 80 cc kit..
It could be something simple (like the clutch cable being too tight)... Don't start messing with the adjustment of the flower nut just yet...

The spark plug has nothing to do with this... don't touch that either

HaloDark

Dec 4, 2022
It could be something simple (like the clutch cable being too tight)... Don't start messing with the adjustment of the flower nut just yet...

The spark plug has nothing to do with this... don't touch that either
I got it to start when I pedal, but it quickly dies.. Any advice on what I can do?

Mossy

May 20, 2022
I got it to start when I pedal, but it quickly dies.. Any advice on what I can do?
Stick to the new thread and be patient with it... My first step is to take the cylinder off and look inside and with some 220 sand paper take off the casting flash around the ports and file smooth the gasket surfaces that way your motor will last and seal properly... Make sure the piston isn't backwards the ring pins face the intake and smooth the edges of the rings... With that little bit of sanding and cleaning your going to have no trash and good sealing surfaces and rings that won't get caught on the ports... Be careful not to push the locator pins in there there so the rings don't move and get caught... Sometimes they will be put together wrong.... Some will flush the engine bottom end with gasoline to get all the chips out of it... I take every engine apart and check everything because nothing could be installed right and or greased etc... With everything layed out in front of me I can begin to put it back together and all the steps are on here or Utube videos... The more prep work in the beginning will get it to run and last longer and your going to be taking it apart a few times as it goes and it's going to come apart better in the future if you solve these early on... Some kits are better than others there not all compatible with each other there's 3 66/80cc the grubee the pk 80 and the zeda... Looks similar but you need to know what you actually have...