When is a 2-stroke supposed to 4-stroke?

GoldenMotor.com

CaliRebel

Apr 4, 2011
Santa Barbara, CA
I've heard various comments on the board, but I'm unsure when it's a bad sign that it's 4-stroking. Near as I can tell the engine should only be 4-stroking when it's not under load, but some people seem to only get there bike to 2-stroke under full throttle.

When should these bike engines 2-stroke, and when shouldn't they 4-stroke?

Hammond Egger

Oct 23, 2010
Tucson, AZ
Some people think they should 4 stroke when they are not under a load. I don't think they should ever 4 stroke and if any of mine do I fix it so they don't.

ToxicAz520

Mar 11, 2011
Tucson,Arizona
Generally 4 stroking indicates that that motor is running rich. My bike after tuning it with jets, better air filter, and opening the intake and exhaust flanges didnt 4 stroke at all.

I just got it tuned (2 weeks ago) and running the best it ever did and then at 20mph the motor siezed and locked up the rear tire, saved it though, thank god I wasn't going faster. Don't know what happened yet but will take the motor apart in a few days and find out.

Pilotgeek

Apr 6, 2011
Green Bay, WI
I have mine tuned to almost never 4-stroke. Only time it ever does is if I'm going down a hill at like 1/4 throttle or less. Any time it's under any load, however small, it runs great. Was just a simple re-jet.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Generally 4 stroking indicates that that motor is running rich. My bike after tuning it with jets, better air filter, and opening the intake and exhaust flanges didnt 4 stroke at all.

I just got it tuned (2 weeks ago) and running the best it ever did and then at 20mph the motor siezed and locked up the rear tire, saved it though, thank god I wasn't going faster. Don't know what happened yet but will take the motor apart in a few days and find out.
What size jet were you running?

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ
currently mine only 4 strokes when it's still warming up or at idle. but i feel most of that may have to do with the expansion pipe.