180 Degree Head turning Question?

GoldenMotor.com

vintage97302

Feb 3, 2011
Salem, Oregon
Hello,

Attached is a picture from my bike that a friend is building... In the picture, see how the spark plug is very, very close to that straight bar tube that he added, the problem is...I would have to take off the engine to remove the plug once it is seated in position...My question is this: Is it possible, to turn the head 180 degrees and switch the carb and exhaust so that the plug faces more forward?

It looks like it can...but unsure. If not, what would I have to do to make it work, or is it too much of a hassle and should I just leave it alone?

Thanks - Eric scratg

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
hey, i recognize that bike!;)

you shouldn't need to replace the head gasket if you're just turning the head around. the gasket should stay put on the studs.

you don't even have to remove the plug (unless it's in the way.) just remove the four nuts, pull the head off, spin it around and tighten the nuts back up EVENLY. fingertight them first, then snug, then tighten a litlle at a time, in a 4 cross pattern, meaning tighten one, then go diagonal to the otherside, then straight across, then diagonal, then back across and start over.

a torque wrench is ideal, but i don't use one. but i've got a pretty good "feel" when it comes to tightening stuff.

bottom line, is make sure they're tightened down evenly.

after the first ride, when the engine's still warm, tighten them a tiny bit more. if they don't want to move, don't force them.

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
Yeah, you can go ahead and do it. If this were a high performance two stroke this would be a bad move, but on a low performance engine like this, go ahead :D

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
You know, you crash into less stuff if your head isn't on the wrong way. As for the actual head, you can turn it any way you please, that's no problem at all, the engine will run in any configuration :)