Clutch removal

GoldenMotor.com

haoleboy

Feb 17, 2012
Redding, CA
Hello everyone!
My motor is a 2 stroke from Dax, and I have to replace the cutch. I needed to replace the sprocket and chain, and did so. When trying to adjust the clutch, the flower nut was really really on too far. I found that I could not adjust the clutch. I am not able to remove the clutch. I find that the starting threads on the clutch are "flattened" and cannot start the removal tool. Ordered and received 2 new removal tools. Is there a way to remove the clutch without the tool????
Thank you for your input.
Dave

Last edited:

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
HEY haoleboy, the short answer is NO. Ya gotta use the tool,SO, what I recommend is lock on vice grips to the tool and tap it while turning to force it into the clutch threads. Keep it as straight as possible and it may even straighten out the threads a little, but prolly not. Yer clutch is fubar'd anyway so no real damage done except to the tool, Lock the clutch with a screwdriver between the clutch gear and the bevel gear and use FORCE to screw it in as far as possible. I've had to do it this way more than a few times. Mainly from people working on their own bikes and not screwing the tool in far enough and stripping the threads. ya gotta get in screwed in pretty good or it'll just strip out threads. ALMOST FORGOT, Ya wanna take out the bolt from the tool before ya start hitting it. If ya pound on the bolt you'll mess up those threads too you wont be able to turn the bolt to remove the clutch, Like I said, I've done this before. and messed up a couple tools before learning NOT to beat on the tool's center bolt.
fatdaddy.usflg

haoleboy

Feb 17, 2012
Redding, CA
Thanks Fatdaddy; I'll give it a try. I had thought about it, haven't done it yet..... I'll let you know how it goes...... and I have new spare tool!
Thank you

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
No problemo bro. I just now had a little problem removing a clutch. I had to replace a crank seal and ya gotta pull the clutch to get it out of the way. The first tool wouldn't grab AT ALL. I found a old F'd up one and it screwed in a lot better. Just a little difference in the thread was all it took. Now I just hope the new crank seal holds.
Just came in from the shop and put on a fresh pot-O-joe, So, I'm taking a little break before reinstalling the engine. wish me luck.
fatdaddy.usflg

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
seen a diff in those tools lately, used to take a 22mm wrench, but now take a 21mm, & threads seem less well formed

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
seen a diff in those tools lately, used to take a 22mm wrench, but now take a 21mm, & threads seem less well formed
What do you expect from China? I order a part and keep my fingers crossed that it will even be usable. China and quality control are NEVER used in the same sentence, untill now.
fatdaddy.laff

haoleboy

Feb 17, 2012
Redding, CA
Fatdaddy, thanks very much for the tip. I attempted that, and all it did was to bugger up the threads on the tool....... so I changed the pads, and the clutch works. Since I could not remove the clutch, I'll change the pads until the motor breaks...... at least I can ride it!

Thank you for reading this.
Dave