muffler question

GoldenMotor.com

thetorontolens

Mar 4, 2014
canada
ok before my question
i am a real noob when it comes to building motored bicycles and have never worked on a bicycle or a motor before ( i am a photographer )
with that being said i decided to buy a ezm kit and a felt MP cruiser
and much to my shock i did build it and its running now a real noob question i wanna get a longer exhaust i need to know if there is a difference between the two and 4 stroke mufflers or are they interchangeable

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
A muffler is a muffler --- kind of. All a muffler does is change/lower the exhaust shockwave into a sound that is less offensive to the human ear. I've got a 4 stroke intended muffler on my custom exhaust, and it works great.

However, with the way a 2 stroke operates, an expansion chamber can give great results in extra power. There are tons of threads on here that get into the minutea of the theory.

Good luck in the direction you decide to take!!

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
If you would find a muffler with the same bolt spacing as your engine, I'd bet that you wouldn't be able to stand the amount of noise it would emit.

I cut the flange off of a 'stock' muffler and used it as the starting point of my exhaust.

You can just measure the distance between the exhaust studs and see if there is something else that would fit --- all 4 stroke mufflers aren't the same.