Engines over 5Hp

GoldenMotor.com

BTrackMontana

May 15, 2014
Montana
Hi,

Very new to this site, but look forward to participating.

I have a complete Harley "hummer" style project in my garage. I think the original motor is about 5hp.

I was wondering what the choices are for motors above 5 hp. I also have 3 extra frames I might experiment with. My builds would be more of a board track motorcycle, but could be a hybrid of a mc frame and bike parts.

Where are the best links for motors of 5hp and above?

us highland engines are about $5k, and 50 hp, so I am starting from there and working downward. Is there anything in the 10-20 hp range that would fit in a loop frame or hummer frame?

I guess I am looking to make a board track with more of a MC feel to it, but there is a lot of knowledge in this group about such thoughts, and maybe somebody has some ideas for a motor. The concept could easily be a 10-20 hp bicycle concept as well, with a heavier frame and wheels. I kind of feel over 10hp is pushing it for bicycle frame, what do you guys think? I saw the Dax 9 hp motors and that is getting closer. I really do not like the look of the honda 125 clones, they look so Chinese ( Or maybe Japanese as they are a clone of a Honda).

The look of the motor is important as well. Will it look good in a loop frame?

The US highland is made in the USA, but is a true 50 hp MC engine. 50hp is more that a stock 883. www.ushighland.com . BUT, this is a killer looking motor...

Thank you,

Mac

jazz2561

Sep 20, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Welcome, a good start would be a predator 212cc, then after a Briggs and Stratton v twin. The 212cc has plenty of aftermarket parts from AGK. The Briggs has some full built hopped engines ready to go for 10k.

Last edited:

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Hi,

I have a complete Harley "hummer" style project in my garage. I think the original motor is about 5hp.
Is there anything in the 10-20 hp range that would fit in a loop frame or hummer frame?

I guess I am looking to make a board track with more of a MC feel to it, but there is a lot of knowledge in this group about such thoughts, and maybe somebody has some ideas for a motor. The concept could easily be a 10-20 hp bicycle concept as well, with a heavier frame and wheels. I kind of feel over 10hp is pushing it for bicycle frame,

The look of the motor is important as well. Will it look good in a loop frame?

Mac
How about an XL / XR / CB 125 Honda motor in a Silver State Cycles board track frame which can more than handle that weight and power?

We have been racing 20+ HP 200/212 cc 4 stroke go kart motors in cruiser bike frames for 3 years and they hold up just fine.

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
Welcome to the Forum!

I was outbid on a engineless Simplex a while back (similar to your Hummer).

My plan was to put a vintage 8 HP Briggs on it- Thinking vintage USA on vintage USA, but probably upgrade the carb and other internal performance goodies.

And I have used a antique Wisconsin AK on a retro 1909 cruiser style motorcycle. It works quite well although it’s only rated at 4.2HP, it is almost 300cc’s and weights 55 lbs.

Likely that wouldn’t be nearly fast enough for what you have in mind, my point is don’t rule out vintage as plenty options out there would be.

And they usually have a good look!

-Kirk

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I look forward to seeing your build. I have a hummer scat project I just picked up also. Its going bobber style. I did pluck a lifan 250cc twin off ebay that I may shoe horn it in there. Anyways... lets see some pics of the build.

usflg
Your hummer with the lifan 250 would make a sweet bike...
SB

wret

Feb 24, 2014
Maryland
There are many vertical layout air-cooled Chinese motors available from 100 to 250cc, in the $400 to $600 range. All of these would be more than 5hp.

I eyeballed the 250 twin as well but that thing requires a lot of real estate inside the frame.

DareDevil

Apr 29, 2012
Australia
I look forward to seeing your build. I have a hummer scat project I just picked up also. Its going bobber style. I did pluck a lifan 250cc twin off ebay that I may shoe horn it in there. Anyways... lets see some pics of the build.

Hi feelyx The Lifan V250 is a copy of the Yamaha Virago engine ,,I have used one in my build http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=39614&page=64 They run sweet and dont take up to much room..they are a little wide and have watch how much offset where it sits in the frame...but if you want a reasonable priced twin with more than 20HP This is the way to go...Hand built V engines are going to out of the money range of most...I personaly wouldn't machine one up for my self....after castings CNC and probally 200 hours in the workshop wouldnt get any change out of $15000 buy a really nice full size bike for that money DD

Techbiker

Oct 27, 2009
DFW, Texas
You could go for an XR80 (like me) or XR100, however you have to watch the clearance. The XR80 is an OHC engine and is around 15" tall. The XR100 is another half an inch taller! Fortunately, the transmission is only 10.5" wide in either case. I believe that the CG125 engine is shorter due to its OHV design, however good luck finding one in the states!

The benefit to these OHC XR engines is that they should rev to the moon. In fact, the XR80 will hit 10,000 rpm in stock form. With proper tuning and upgrades, XR80's have hit 14,000 rpm.

A moderately upgraded XR80 will put out almost 8hp. The 5 speed transmission will help you get that power to the ground.

Good luck!

Ragnarok

May 26, 2014
Baytown, Texas
Last edited: