Master link clip

GoldenMotor.com

Len455

Mar 11, 2012
Phoenix az
So twice now my retainer clip on #41 master link has fallen off. Im now using the clip off of my old 415 chain because its a little tighter but can you guys tell me why this is happening and how to fix it? And one time the open end was facing forward and the other it was facing back.
Thanks
Len455

blazingoutcast

Mar 28, 2012
st. cloud mn
If uve bent the clip too much it will vibrate loose these motorized bikes have a lot of vibration going on also make sure the clip is faced in the direction the chain travels i had the same issue when i took my bike for its first test drive i still havnt had my bike on the road for more then n hr all together cuz of these new 3rd gen cns carbs just be glad u don't have a carb issue lol trust me it'll all get better with some tlc to the bike

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
To clarify what the man means by having the clip face in the right direction; the closed end of the clip should enter the engine first. The chain is pulled into the drive sprocket and if the clip's open end goes in first it can hit the inside of the clutch actuator cover and be knocked off.
There is an old thread that deals with chain interference inside the cover and what you can do to prevent it. Essentially you need to grind a small area where the chain can make contact. Even with this modification the master link clip needs to enter the sprocket, closed end first.
Tom

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
If < I > had probs with a master link I would replace it, and save it for an emergency spare.

They are a 'key' component, and should be in tip-top reliable condition.

Good luck
rc