What the heck is that squeaking sound?

GoldenMotor.com

Waspswatter

Feb 17, 2009
Wisconsin, USA
Sounds like it's coming from the clutch when I ride. Is that normal? Lol, it sounds awful! Does it need some grease?

AND, My clutch lever keeps riding up out of the clutch. The pin that's supposed to hold it in isn't doing anything. When there's no tension on the clutch cable you can pull the lever right out of the clutch. What can I do about that?

BTW, initially I had trouble getting it to start, but I then went through the archives, (I USED SEARCH AND IT WORKED!) thought it might be electical and put a zip-tie around the connectors to pinch them tight against the downtube. Started right up!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
1. Some clutch/gear noise is normal, if you're talking about a Chinese 2 stroke engine.

2. Remove the clutch actuator cover and look for a small hole, about 3/32" in diameter. There should be a steel pin in that hole but it's not uncommon for them to fall out alllowing the clutch actuator arm to lift out of the cover. You can make a new one from a small nail cut to length or any steel pin material that will fit the hole. Most engine makers secure the pin in the hole with a small dab of an epoxy material over the end of the pin.

3. We suggest the wiring connections be soldered and protected with heat shrink tubing as opposed to relying on the kit supplioed plug-in connectors. They are notorious for bad connections and vibrating loose.

Hope this helps and answers your questions.
Tom

Waspswatter

Feb 17, 2009
Wisconsin, USA
Thanks Tom, but my clutch still has the retaining pin, it just isn't "retaining". I suppose there's too much play in the arm or the pin isn't close enough to the retaining groove. Any ideas on how I can fix it?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Wasp,
Are you absolutely positive the pin is still there? The design allows for a little play but not enough for the arm to slide completely out of the cover unless it is rotated about 90degrees from the position it normally is in when the cover is installed.
Of course there's always the possibility of a manufacturing error that could account for your problem. We can never rule that out. :)
Maybe a photo would tell us more.
Tom

Waspswatter

Feb 17, 2009
Wisconsin, USA
Yep, the pin is still there. Although it looks like the housing around the arm shaft is just a little bit cracked. Possibly providing enough play to prevent engagement? It's not easy to see and I don't know if it would show up on a photo.

Waspswatter

Feb 17, 2009
Wisconsin, USA
Well, I could try drilling out the pin and making a larger hole for a larger pin. Or, I could by a new clutch cover for $4.95 and be done. I think I just answered my own question.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Take the sprocket cover off (three bolts over chain) and grease the pin and ball bearing. Mine did the same and once I greased it no more squeak!