Motor performance @ night, after rain

GoldenMotor.com

tseekr379

May 11, 2011
Quito, Ecuador
I was wondering what the difference was in performance while riding at night, when the air is cooler... and also how it performs after a bit of rain, when the roads are already drying up, but moisture is still noticeable in the air. Are there any negative effects to be had by conditions "post-rain"?

The only reason I don't take my MB out at night is because I will probably get robbed. Quito is a dangerous city at night. I am thinking about taking my MB out to a friend who lives in the Valley, where it is a bit warmer, and much safer at night.

Sorry if my questions seem basic. I searched for rain, and all I got was info regarding riding during rain - nothing about after rain, and the conditions. I don't plan on riding my MB in ANY rain, if I can help it. I know I will be avoiding problems in the long run by doing so.

tseekr379

May 11, 2011
Quito, Ecuador
Thanks Nougat! Problem here in Quito, is that one day, it could be 40 degrees or lower even, then the next day you get 70-80 degree weather! Somedays, you may even get a bit of both! So messing with the carb jet is something I think is perhaps trivial in my situation.

Living in another country, it's frustrating to go out and see that NOBODY carries certain brand names or parts for replacement. Opti-2 is not available here unfortunately. Most people look at me like I have three heads when I ask them a question about these things.

On the other hand, EVERYONE stares at my MB, as they've never been seen here. I've had it since Tuesday, and the people coming over to gawk or ask questions just keep coming! I don't know if I like the attention so much though... there are evil people in this world, and they are capable of evil deeds!

Wet leaves? Slippery or they get stuck in something? Exhaust maybe..?

As a side-note, I'd like to say that before joining, I read the forums thoroughly, and I enjoy reading your posts! Very informative my friend!

tseekr379

May 11, 2011
Quito, Ecuador
Thanks for the advice (btw, I like how you got that quote, funny ass thread). I am thinking that perhaps making the jet size a bit smaller anyway because of the altitude more than weather? 9,000 ft. in a mountain city... but I feel there is plenty of air up here... so I don't know yet. I'm thinking I should finish breaking it in and then play around with stuff.

Mechanic told me stock spark plug was fine - but I keep reading about the NGK plugs and how they boost performance? Correct me if I'm wrong sir. Plug caps will be my next inquiry.

Last edited:

tseekr379

May 11, 2011
Quito, Ecuador
Hmm... I thought the jet size had to be smaller, to allow more air into the fuel:air ratio. I understand most stock 50cc motors come with .70 jet size and have to be soldered and rejetted smaller for higher altitudes. The mechanic I spoke to told me the stock sparks were fine... but then again, what would it hurt to try the NGK's out? Would it do too much damage to my motor? And how exactly is the plug chops done properly. I know I pull the spark cap off, but do I just pull out the spark plug with a tug?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Not being argumentative Nougat, but I'd be careful pulling the plug from a hot cylinder head. This is especially true if there was no anti-seize applied to the threads. A hot steel plug in an aluminum head can sometimes bind up and compromise the threads.
We usually suggest to allow the engine to cool for a bit, 5 to 10 minutes, before removing the spark plug.
Tom

chrisme

May 30, 2009
Maine
I've ridden my bike in pouring rain many times... The biggest issue with the NT carb is that water drips down the throttle cable into the carb. So every five miles or so I had to pull over and drain the water out of the carb... other than that, ran fine.