Roy's long trip

GoldenMotor.com

boxcar

Dec 18, 2014
Astoria OR
I got started in the motorized bicycle thing while doing a favor for a guy named Roy. ( Pan Head Roy to be exact )
I met him in early Nov 2014.
A scruffy little Vietnam vet. Late 60's , and a bit down on his luck. ( I thought )
I was in the midst of adding the finishing touches to a Honda Bobber build .
The guy walks into my shop and promptly asks if I can motorize a bicycle.
I was busy at the time, and not paying proper attention to Roy.
My answer was a very poorly thought out " sure I can " .
He then left the building.
About a week later he shows up with an old Sears trike. A china doll kit and a case of Papst .
Roy is a very observant man. He knew my weakness.
Again , I was in the middle of a job and not in the best of moods so I was not in the mood for long conversation.
I asked a few questions :
#1 is the bike stolen . Answer = no.....
#2 what are you going to use it for. answer = I want to ride it home......
I assumed home was in Astoria Or. The town I live in . Silly me......
I then informed him that I'd look at the bike and get back to him.

Later that week I had some time to look at the bike. It was a death trap....
Bent frame / shot crank / etc. Looked like it had been in a head on with a truck.
Called Roy and told him the bad news.....
He then informed me that he had very little cash and asked what I could do.
Now I am known around here as a soft touch for a hard luck story.
I'm a vet and ALWAYS willing to help out a brother.
So, he's got me.....
I scrounged around and came up with an old English road bike frame that was straight and a Nishiki that had been in an accident.
Between the two I ended up with a ride-able 27" 10 speed bike. For no $
After modifying the frame to fit Roy's short inseam ( dropped the seat post 4" and sectioned the frame ) Roy was happy with the bike. ( 6 Hours ).
I then installed the CG and set up the bike. No frills . ( 3 Hours )
That's when Roy explains that home is in the deep south.... Like Alabama!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And that he had walked from there to Victoria BC. where his hip gave out on him.
( I'm now listening ,very intently, in absolute terror. )
He had managed to hitch a ride to Astoria where he had been lay'd up for a while and just needed to get back home ???????????
After a moment to take all of this new info in. I offer'd to buy him a buss ticket home.
No , sez Roy , It ain't on my bucket list...... I'm going to ride there .

Back to the bike / re enforce the frame / designed and installed a dampening system for the engine / wired in lights with a pair of wheel driven dynamo's mounted on the 20" trailer wheels . ( did I forget to mention the trailer? ) Built from the rear of the trike he brought me.
Add fenders.
New tires .
A horn.
And about a million reflectors..
(16 + hours ) I lost count....
I then explain to Roy that he needs to break the engine in properly before he leaves.
I'll have to come back to this. I have to run to the shop. Trust me it get's better......

Last edited:

boxcar

Dec 18, 2014
Astoria OR
So Roy , being the man he is , starts terrorizing the town on his new machine.
Side walks and the river walk were his favorite haunts. He soon became infamous.
Some time in mid Dec he decided the bike was ready , and he pointed her south.
By the 19th he'd made Coos Bay.Where he crashed the bike and destroyed the crank.
The next time I herd from him , California border, Where he lost the CDI.
Some one there helped him out because by Feb 3rd he calls from Anaheim.
He must not have liked LA because it's now the 20th of Feb and he has made Phoenix
Ariz.
I'm pretty sure you guys from Texas are about to get to know Chopper Roy.
Some kind of record......

I'm prayin for ya Roy.......

Last edited:

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
boxcar,

Thank you. First for helping the old vet and secondly for this great account of just how he is doing.
If anyone asks just how good a well built China Girl is they can be pointed to this thread and decide for themselves.

Steve.

Semaj

Electric Enthusiast
Dec 11, 2014
Austin Tx
Tell him if he passes through austin, to give me a call, If Im free Ill totaly buy that man a drink!
512-905-1083

You Cross country petrol peddlers blow my mind man. Wish I had that range on electric x_x

Train_Wreck

Feb 9, 2015
Sacramento, CA
awesome read man, thanks for your service and for helping him out as well. Crazy how far he is going on that thing... don't know how reliable a little 2 stroke is to get you that far but props to him if he makes it home safely. Hope to hear from him soon, i'll b following this thread usflg

Tom Allen

Aug 20, 2013
Chicago
as for the rider,to quote Raymond Chandler:Guts is everything.

as for the bike builder--you are worthy of the name "Biker".