Near Halifax, NS, Canada

GoldenMotor.com

Motors for Bicycles

Sep 22, 2013
Nova Scotia, Canada
I'm Tony, and I started maintaining bicycles and engines back in 1970 at my uncle's store. It was a great summer job, and I received a solid education in both two and four cycle engines.

I put together my first motorized bicycle, and was riding around when someone offered to buy it from me. My second went the same way. Folks started noticing that I appeared to know what I was doing. I soon had bikes showing up for repair, and requests for motors and parts. So it began...

I sell Grubee SkyHawks exclusively, and carry parts for them. My business is mainly local, although I've been known to ship upon occasion.

Something I've noticed recently is that the GT5As sometimes come with 6mm cylinder studs. That's not the only difference in the engine. It also has different keys, at least for the clutch. They are sunken keys with rounded ends. I had to fabricate one, as the distributors only seem to carry the woodruff keys. It wasn't difficult using a hacksaw and file.

I got tired of the mess, and wait with contact cement to fasten rubber strips to various components that contact the bike's frame. I switched to double-sided outdoor carpet tape a couple of weeks ago. It seems to be holding up well. I use the thicker inner tubes from trailers or cars for the engine mounts, and the idler pulley bracket. Thinner bicycle inner tubes are used for everything else. Put the carpet tape on the outside of the thick tubes, as the inside often has a powder coating, and is rough. Just trim to fit, peel and stick it on.

Well, that's me, and a couple of tips from my shop. Now it's back to the engine brought in as parts in a box for installation.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
hi tony and welcome to our forum. lots of other motorized bicycle people from canada and i am sure you will make some new friends and not only teach us some things but members will also teach you. enjoy

Harlem902

Mar 2, 2017
Dartmouth
Hey I am from dartmouth and just came across your post. I have a four stroke bike on a chopper frame. I'm pretty sure I'm only missing a spring but I can get it started but it wont run like more than 3km lol. I dont know who to take it to around here but if you can get it going i'll most definitely pay for your time and part if need be. But I never had a prob before I think when my chain fell off and got jammed and I tried to hammer it back in place I knocked this spring off inside which is very easy to get to, I can take a picture even to better explain. If not I have a frame, if you have a motor to sell me I'll buy it or if you can throw a 4 stroke on I'd pay your for that time as well. Id do 2 stroke if that was my only option. Thanks for your time anyways! I paid good money for the bike and dont want to trust someone who doesnt know anything about them. I cleaned my carb and everything else looks fine. But if you can do anything for me hit me up and let me know! id love to get it back on the road, and I attached a picture of my bike before I redone it all again lol so you get a handle of what Im working with here ! message me on here or text 902 414 1446
or im me on here

Thanks

Daniele

Attachments

Last edited:

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Hey I am from dartmouth and just came across your post. I have a four stroke bike on a chopper frame. I'm pretty sure I'm only missing a spring but I can get it started but it wont run like more than 3km lol. I dont know who to take it to around here but if you can get it going i'll most definitely pay for your time and part if need be. But I never had a prob before I think when my chain fell off and got jammed and I tried to hammer it back in place I knocked this spring off inside which is very easy to get to, I can take a picture even to better explain. If not I have a frame, if you have a motor to sell me I'll buy it or if you can throw a 4 stroke on I'd pay your for that time as well. Id do 2 stroke if that was my only option. Thanks for your time anyways! I paid good money for the bike and dont want to trust someone who doesnt know anything about them. I cleaned my carb and everything else looks fine. But if you can do anything for me hit me up and let me know! id love to get it back on the road, and I attached a picture of my bike before I redone it all again lol so you get a handle of what Im working with here ! message me on here or text 902 414 1446
my email as well is [email protected]

Thanks

Daniele

Howdy & welcome to you, also!!

However, concerning the original poster, he has been on the site for almost 3 years. There may be a long wait for his response.

Best of luck in getting your issues sorted out.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Hello Harlem902 and welcome to the forum.

As xseler said the original poster hasn't been here since September 22, 2013 and only has 3 posts. Left click on his name on top of his post then click on Send Private Message when the menu drops down. If he is still active it's the best way to get in touch with him.

You can post your problem on the one of the threads dealing with motor problems on the forum and there are many experienced people here willing to help.

Steve.

Last edited: