9.5HP 7200W 22Lbs. of Vertebrae Dislocating Magnetic Goodness.

GoldenMotor.com

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Here it is....in all it's glory. It's coming as sure as the sun is gonna rise tomorrow, it's coming. Gotta do a little notching and welding first. LOL

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Gotta find some high current discharge Lithium batteries. My original choice are not gonna take nowhere near that kinda amp hit to them.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Good choice. I was thinking of using chemistry because of the weight. The only reason I went with the Lifepo4 was the safety factor.
Actually this is the same battery chemistry as what is in the Nissan Leaf electric car and is even less susceptible of spontaneously bursting into flames than even LiFePo4. It costs $$$$ though.

Last edited:

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Lithium Nickel Manganese Cobalt Oxide also lithium-mananese-cobalt-oxide (LiNiMnCo, NMC, NCM), Li[NiMnCo]O2 based Cathode & Graphite based Anode, is the newest generation Li-Ion rechargeable battery for high power applications, such as EV car, E-scooter and E-bike. The NMC cells compromise between high current rate and high capacity rate. Compared with LiCoO2 series Li-Ion cell, the NMC cells provide higher energy density with lower cost, long cycle life (>[email protected], IEC standrad). NMC cell has 3.6 +/- 0.5V nominal working voltage and shall be cut-off power at 4.15-4.20V per cell during charging.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Actually this is the same battery chemistry as what is in the Nissan Leaf electric car and is even less susceptible of spontaneously bursting into flames than even LiFePo4. It costs $$$$ though.
I have to say you cant skimp out on safety. This is how I view it as: pay an extra $300-$800 more or burn down your $900k house. LoL
At the time I bought my battery, I couldn't find the mag cobalt type.
I was looking for it because if the weight factor. I think my pack weighs roughly 28lbs for a 48v 30ah battery. At first I was going to get the ion but didn't like that it only could get around 800 charges and the biggest I could find was a 12ah one.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
I have to say you cant skimp out on safety. This is how I view it as: pay an extra $300-$800 more or burn down your $900k house. LoL
At the time I bought my battery, I couldn't find the mag cobalt type.
I was looking for it because if the weight factor. I think my pack weighs roughly 28lbs for a 48v 30ah battery. At first I was going to get the ion but didn't like that it only could get around 800 charges and the biggest I could find was a 12ah one.
My AllCell Lithium Nickel 48V 12.9Ah weighs 9 Lbs. but is limited to 20A max drain rate, as are all their models. No more AllCell for me, even though it's a great pack other than that. I'm done with them. LOL

No skimping on batteries for me. I don't need to be a human comet going down the road with my pants leg in flames.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
My 5 x 12V 10Ah SLA's weigh 27 lbs, not too bad, they provide a whole day's worth of use at the trackside on a charge or about 5 miles at full power (unicycle :D).

I'm not upgrading until I see a pack and say to myself, "Wow they've gotten cheap!" lol

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
My 5 x 12V 10Ah SLA's weigh 27 lbs, not too bad, they provide a whole day's worth of use at the trackside on a charge or about 5 miles at full power (unicycle :D).

I'm not upgrading until I see a pack and say to myself, "Wow they've gotten cheap!" lol
My custom made frame will have enough clearance to swallow a Honda GC160 or a 8" Motenergy Etek clone. $2700 to go electric (not including the bike itself) is a lot of $$$$$, compared to the Honda 160 gas option. Man o' man. I'll build the bike first and ponder my options afterwards. LOL

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles

I needs more Ah like Will Ferrel needs more Cowbell. I'm building a long range commuter, not for racing.....unless it's racing from one end of L.A. to the other end and back, and while cars are sitting motionless in the street, in perpetual gridlock. LOL

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Anything's possible with enough money and work.
I'll will definitely be buying the batteries last. That is gonna be painful to say the least. It will also have 300% more watts than my gas/electric bike has right now. I just have to keep telling myself that over and over again. LOL

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
I watched a bunch of youtube videos of this guy in Washington DC commute to work on his electric mountain bike, where it's legal to ride a bike on the sidewalk. He has his bike with a GoPro mounted in various places on the bike. He is on the street lane splitting, on the sidewalk, on bike lanes, on bike paths, and in the woods on some dirt trails, then back on the street. Not one time does his bike come to a halt..... the entire commute. Meanwhile cars are sitting motionless in the streets in absolute gridlock. It was hilarious. LMAO

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Subscribing to this thread with interest. I am gathering knowledge. I am very close to replacing my truck (I now HATE Toyota with a morbid passion) and if I have enough $$$ left over I want to build a commuter E-bike. Something not too slow with at least a 30 mile range that can climb hills with no problems.

Thank you all for sharing info!

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Subscribing to this thread with interest. I am gathering knowledge. I am very close to replacing my truck (I now HATE Toyota with a morbid passion) and if I have enough $$$ left over I want to build a commuter E-bike. Something not too slow with at least a 30 mile range that can climb hills with no problems.

Thank you all for sharing info!
No problem.

Unlike the current King of Ebikes, THE STEALTH BOMBER, my bikes batteries will be inside rear mounted panniers (military ammo boxes), so the electric motorcycle Motenergy motor can be mounted inside the bikes frame. E-hub motors are just too inefficient and are under too much stress at high watts and are basically the same price as the mid-drive Motenergy. It will propel a bicycle with ease by comparison.