Razor MX1000 electric "BMX" :P

GoldenMotor.com

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Instead of reposting everything I'll put the link here to the thread over at Pocket Bike Planet that I started yesterday about my bike. I got this to play with while I finished my OCC Bobber and fell in love with it, it's a mean machine in its own right!

http://www.pocketbikeplanet.com/showthread.php?t=31100&page=28

The reason I'm posting it here is because I think these are a great affordable alternative to an electric bike and they are street legal and bulletproof if you don't go crazy on mods like I did!

Unless you're a member of their forum the pics won't show so I'll put them here.

Last edited:

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay

The images here are in the same order as the discussion over there so if you have both forums open you'll see what I'm talking about.

Thanks for being such an inspirational forum!

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay

Here's an easy way to add passive cooling. Mercedes have cold air snorkels to their airboxes and I happened to have one handy from a 190e 2.3 and it fit very easily with the existing batt cover bungees and a zip tie. I was going to mount a fan but this was the easiest mod ever and works well. Pick-n-pull always has old Mercedes with various scoops that might work for this. I'd actually like a narrower one because it sticks out into peg room.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Well it looks like the external pic links have been broken, so if you want to see the bike you'll have to log into Pocket Bike Planet.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
I'm going to 60v 10ah, it's losing 7 lbs, um. Hope it's really fast and not self destructive!

I got a circuit breaker for 35A, hopefully that will keep me from having to change 40a fuses on the road if I overcook it. I'm not sure exactly how much current will flow. Worst/best case scenario will have this system running around 1500w output if I'm correct, or 2000w electrical energy. That's taking to account the increased current flow through the motor from the increased voltage through the equivalent resistance, because the controller is just a PWM wave chopper.

My goal is 10 miles on dirt wheels with tons of hills and fast riding. I think these new name brand batteries will do it. For more, go to the pocket bike planet thread. It's all there, I post it where people might actually give a damn. lol

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
It's getting fast, and destructive! lol

I burnt up a treadmill choke I used to control the power from this beast of a motor, so now I have two toroidal 6000w chokes on order that should make this thing work like before the small electrical fire today! lol

This is kinda fun because my bike is a physical high power example of the LRC circuit from physics and analog electronics classes. The biggest thing I realize at 60v is s*** gets real, real quick, and all the wiring has to be the right gauge or you'll get a meltdown/fire.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this thing works out, it finally rides like a gas dirtbike and feels like it's got some sac now. Final wattage times an efficiency factor based around 79% and the temperature of the motor will give a good estimate of the commutator mechanical power output. I bet the figure will be about 4 hp when it's all ready!

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Yes, late night I went for a great ride! Since I have changed so much on the bike at once it's hard to tell the performance improvement, but when sitting upright it's less windy. I need to adjust my bars forward because I moved them back so the screen would fit nicer, but it's too easy to go flipping over the bars now! :p

The other problem is that I raked it back so much it blows right op my visor, lol. Moving the bars back forward should solve both issues.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
SO after killing two motors this week I think I might make this a dual motor bike so that the two motors split the current which is frying them.

I'm thinking about using two Currie 1000W motors in parallel, since they weigh about half a single 1000W Unite. Hopefully doing this, the final weak link in the bike will be power matched enough so its reliable again.

SoSauty

Feb 4, 2011
Bako, CA
Way to be! I've always thought the pocketbikes had systems pretty refined. Probably a great approach to mod a pocketbike rather than build the e-bike/e-motorcycle from scratch.

Been trying to bend my lexan with a hotgun, you bet I'm gonna try the mini-torch soon. Haven't been on the forum much lately but will follow this thread.

Just go fast, just not explosively so.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
LOL, I killed my heat gun's switch holding it on high so long trying to bend the first one. I eventually gave up a nice gradual curve, infrared panel heaters are good for that, and just heated up a crease really slowly with a butane torch after heating with a heat gun to get the moisture out of the plastic.

I think this bike's a keeper because unlike a bicycle, I really don't know what I'd have to do to kill this thing, maybe jump it off a cliff? The bike itself is very structurally sound, more so than any bicycle frame. My friend June who had one of these back a long time ago used to get about 25 mph and use a drainage ditch as a half-pipe and get about 10 feet of air vertically and come crashing down hard on sod and only bent a peg one time. The only thing is this bike is kinda scary going fast offroad, it's not light like a mountain bike, there is total committal.

Last edited:

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
It hauls!

The torque is like a freight train!

Top speed is a kinda disappointing 24 with these wheels, but that's okay, the hill climbing is amazing. It will maintain speed uphill under the longest of steep grades and only get lukewarm.

I think I'm in love again. :D

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
24 mph with 12.5 inch tires is flying. i have learned with electric it is rpm's not speed. and you are turning some awesome rpms. bigger wheels more speed. nice set up and great job 16v4nrbgr!