Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Board Trackers and Vintage Motorized Bicycles

Board Trackers and Vintage Motorized Bicycles Vintage enthusiasts share your board trackers and other vintage motorized bicycles ideas, builds and replicas here

Old 04-24-2017, 09:28 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Avon Speedmaster Tires

Since I had one wheel taken apart, I decided it would be a good time to swap tires. The previous tires were selected for their narrow width (2.50) and their relatively tame tread pattern. They always looked a little to dirt-bikey to me though and I've have been keeping an eye open for alternatives. I've found only one fairly narrow, old-timey looking option: Avon Speedmaster in 3.00-21.

Half an inch wider doesn't sound like much but I was unprepared for the massiveness of these things. I had planned for the width but was caught off guard by the diameter. They're a full inch larger than my old tires! I had to make some tweaks to make them fit but the worst part was the mounting. The dirt bike tires I was able to mount by hand and with basic prying tools kneeling on the floor, but with the thick sidewalls on these it's nearly impossible. I actually got one of the Avons mounted this way before realizing there was no way to slide the tube in after.

To make things easier I invested in the Harbor Freight motorcycle tire changing rig. 39 bucks! That's like a dollar a pound. The tool made mounting and de-mounting easier but still a lot of work. After about the fourth time mounting, pinching the inner tube, demounting and patching, I learned its absolutely necessary to slide your fingers inside to make sure the irons aren't puncturing the tube.

Good news is I got lots of tire-changing experience. Also got both tires on the rim, though lot's of paint chip touchup is needed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg avon.jpg (13.7 KB, 6 views)
Old 04-24-2017, 12:19 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: Starting to look like something

Wret glad you found the tires to complement the fork and bike, tire diameter when going to wider tires is a seemingly exponential factor, I'd suggest making absolutely certain that there is plenty of tire to fork clearance on complete spring compression and fabricating a suspension stop if there isn't enough room. Very dangerous when tire meets fork, the ultimate bad stop! Rick C.