Quit (ing) cigarettes

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I guess I'll step in and pat myself on the back a little. October the 8th, I stopped. Quit cold turkey with no help from medications, hypnoses, or nicotine substitutes. I didn't want to trade one addiction for another. So here I am, seven months later, haven't had a smoke but had lots of weak moments and cravings, but those are subsiding.

I have two old R/C airplane friends who both smoke cigars. When I'm around them I have to stay upwind. I was never a cigar smoker, didn't like the smell, and now they really stink. In fact a negative side effect of quitting, at least for me, is that my sense of smell is more acute but I find many things are malodorous. Some things that used to smell good, or I didn't notice at all, now I find very offensive. Anything that has a man made fragrance such as room or car deodorizers, candles, etc. I have to avoid because they stink so bad and I actually react to them with sneezing or coughing.

Am I glad I've quit? Yeah, probably. I should have long ago but maybe I've arrested some of the health issues or at least slowed them down a little. Who knows? At least I've relieved myself of the burden; financial and otherwise, and I doubt I'll ever go back. I've more or less challenged myself to be true to my word and 'promised' myself I wouldn't smoke again. Time will tell.

Tom

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Hope you make it Dan. I was one of the fortunate ones in that I never started. Both my brother and I had to listen to out Dad cough every morning when he got up and that scared us so badly we never started.

I feel bad for everyone who got trapped into smoking and has to fight to get out.

Steve.
Yes Sir, Steve! Glad ya never got on 'em. Really dumb, dumb thing. When I was in high school, I wrote an essay that was a report written be an extraterrestrial back to his home world. He reported that earthlings were kind of eccentric, mostly harmless in groups of 3 or less but had a strange habit. The would grow a plant that contained toxic properties. Then harvest it, dry and shred. After, they would take the shavings, roll them in paper. Then light one end on fire and suck the fumes into their lungs.

Think I was talking about tobacco. LoL, wut? That was a good while back...

I do not know if it is relevant to giving up nicotine, but since I've been taking beta blockers and reduced my sugar consumption, I find that I no longer drink the amounts of alcoholic liquids I used to and do not crave it in the way I would sometimes do.

I know that smokers experience stress when the nicotine is removed, and to me it seems possible that reducing the stress via adrenaline suppression could be helpful. Once clear of the use of the addictive drug/chemical, the beta blockers could be finished with.
I was prescribed wellbutrin a while back for something else, Lud. A side effect was I wanted cigs less and didn't smoke near as much. Not sure why they stopped using those kinds of meds for this. Really seemed to help even if by accident.

Its a hard habit to break. I try to keep occupied and cut back, but man its hard. The mrs is a heavy smoker, would be much easier if both of us gave it up but she refuses. Not interested. Want to see someone angry, will introduce my wife about 5 hours into a flight. Unbearable. Otherwise a very happy person.jekyl and hyde sort of thing.

Good luck buddy!
Oh man TJ. That's gotta be rough. Just seeing someone light up on TV gets me patting my pockets looking for a pack.

But Thanks Mon!

I guess I'll step in and pat myself on the back a little. October the 8th, I stopped. Quit cold turkey with no help from medications, hypnoses, or nicotine substitutes. I didn't want to trade one addiction for another. So here I am, seven months later, haven't had a smoke but had lots of weak moments and cravings, but those are subsiding.

I have two old R/C airplane friends who both smoke cigars. When I'm around them I have to stay upwind. I was never a cigar smoker, didn't like the smell, and now they really stink. In fact a negative side effect of quitting, at least for me, is that my sense of smell is more acute but I find many things are malodorous. Some things that used to smell good, or I didn't notice at all, now I find very offensive. Anything that has a man made fragrance such as room or car deodorizers, candles, etc. I have to avoid because they stink so bad and I actually react to them with sneezing or coughing.

Am I glad I've quit? Yeah, probably. I should have long ago but maybe I've arrested some of the health issues or at least slowed them down a little. Who knows? At least I've relieved myself of the burden; financial and otherwise, and I doubt I'll ever go back. I've more or less challenged myself to be true to my word and 'promised' myself I wouldn't smoke again. Time will tell.

Tom
Awesome Tom and congrats! Uber respect for the cold turkey approach.

Seriously, it is a hellova accomplishment!

----------------------------------------------

Paul, really loving the vape thing. I'm not seeing it as a replacement addiction but definitely relieves the missing the ritual component. Of and in it self, it's kind of refreshing. Right now, I am using a green apple vape. It's like breathing a heavy, tart mist or fog. Very pleasent.

Fat Daddy vapes store is walking distance from my house. Aside from being a store, it's a "vape lounge" Just like a cigar lounge. An almost expected, eclectic crowd and I really enjoy hanging out with these folks. Last friday about 5 of us chipped in on beers and pizza. (BYOB welcome set up)

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
WOW! Way to go guys. It is a tough road but not that bad after a week or so. I did it in 89 with the help of gigerrest vitomins. Took them for 21 days, then tossed them. Took a few years to get ride of the craving whenever around one that smelled good, it happens but not often. Agree with 2 door about the smells hat most man made stuff, just way to strong. Am now 75 and could not be happier that I quite, pedal a bike every day in the summer, even working on the fat bellies of all the good tasting food after quitting. LOL...........Curt

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
WOW! Way to go guys. It is a tough road but not that bad after a week or so. I did it in 89 with the help of gigerrest vitomins. Took them for 21 days, then tossed them. Took a few years to get ride of the craving whenever around one that smelled good, it happens but not often. Agree with 2 door about the smells hat most man made stuff, just way to strong. Am now 75 and could not be happier that I quite, pedal a bike every day in the summer, even working on the fat bellies of all the good tasting food after quitting. LOL...........Curt
That was an awesome read, Curt! Thanks for posting.

.flg.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Purty awesome 5-7!

----------------------------

...and I MEAN IT, THIS TIME! lol

But 4 years later, here I are. Quitting again.

I actually enjoy the withdrawal stuff. I really do. Provocations, I guess all the regular stuff. Cost is my #1. (I waited 'till almost $9 bucks a pack, 5-7) The health, stink and sick of being so damn powerless over this stupid.

But the trigger this time is I have been Ubering or driving for uber 20 or so hrs a week. Perfect rattings and folks have written so really kind and generous stuff to the company about me. Except for the stench in the car. 4 notices about "cleanliness" My Prius is spotless.

Just more proof an addiction was/is, has the power over me to the point I would not perform my task to the best possible. Life and all missions are pass fail. 2 kinds of men in this world. Them that got it done. And those with a good excuse. I had a good excuse. 2 dang wimpy to toss em. Well, I tossed em regularly. Just kept getting more. Really P Oed me off.

Time will tell. Gonna go back and read this thread again. You successful folk are awesome and thank you for time ya took to share what worked for ya!

.flg.
Thanks for props, Dan!

And good job on your Uber ratings!dance1

Now THAT'S an incentive to quit smoking. Ya don't want to let your customers down.

Keep up the good work, Dsn.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Hey, I got an epiphany!

If you smoke a $8.00 pack a day, that's almost $3,000 every year!

Think of all the cool stuff you can buy for your motorized bike!!

9hp KTM engine?

Done in 4 months!!!dance1

A 2-year project for a Board track racer?.weld

No problem!

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Hey, I got an epiphany!

If you smoke a $8.00 pack a day, that's almost $3,000 every year!

Think of all the cool stuff you can buy for your motorized bike!!

9hp KTM engine?

Done in 4 months!!!dance1

A 2-year project for a Board track racer?.weld

No problem!
Ya know 5-7, it's almost sad that my biggest gripe is the cost. And that's at a pack a day and baring lost packs, heavy days or nights, folks bumming one and what ever. Honestly, killing one's self and paying for the privilege.

Just plane stupid. (talking to me, there) I dunno.

Did ya ever hear the thing about it being more difficult to quit cigs than heroin? I believe it. Ya don't enjoy that morning cup of coffee or after dinner bag of dope but look forward to inhaling some toxic fumes, lol.

"Hey honey, I'm gonna step out on the porch and do a couple of bags. You coming?"

Think I need a nap as that was really funny in my wee lil brain....

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
I been vaping for a couple months now. I quit smoking for a short while cold turkey on and off, but then said **** with it and started vaping. Takes time to find the right juice and setup. I used cigalikes for a while till internet research brought me to this setup. It's a mod style vape with a MTL RTA (mouth-to-lung, rebuildable tank atomizer). Eleaf pico 75w and sxk doggystyle tank. Doggy! Can't go wrong with a name like that!

Great setup for those who prefer a tight draw. Basic difference between direct lung and MTL is airflow (wide open vs tight). Atomizer coils were a big expense for me in the past, but this one is rebuildable and I bought wire and cotton for $6, enough for 50+ coils and wicks, which is better than paying 2-5$ a piece every few days.

"Building" coils lets ya tailor it to your preference. I've settled on sst 316l 28ga wire, 7.5 wraps, spaced, 2mm ID, vaping 70%vg 12mg nic/ml at approx 23w

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: Dan

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
I quit completely one year ago. That's when I ended up in ICU for acute respiratory failure and COPD. I'm a lot healthier now but I'm still on oxygen and medications. You think cigs are expensive that aint nothing.