Max's Phat Briggs Bike Build

GoldenMotor.com

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
So Max's dad came out into his garage and saw 9 bikes all over the place. He told Max to make a bike rack from some 2X4s. I volunteered to help him with my big table saw. I had a bunch of leftover wood from a previous project and decided to build it for him.

Kind of rough, but adequate.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
So clearance between coaster brake arms and sprockets is always a problem. So I cut Max's in two and welded a piece of tubing onto the large part and then attached the rest of the arm offset outwards. After grinding and a little bending, it fits nicely with the desired clearance.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Thanks, I bent one on a previous build, but it shortened the arm some and I still had clearance issues and had to bevel the sprocket and grind the edges of the arm. This one works and looks better.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Found these nice Whizzer-looking gas tanks on ebay. Well made and solid. Fits the Phat top bar perfectly. $40 with free shipping. It came with a cap and the standard fuel valve will work with it.

I had an aluminum pipe that works for his exhaust with a little bending. Got the chains cut to size and trimmed the guard to fit.

Then I made a flywheel cover by forming some sheet metal over a large bearing race with a nice radius. I dimpled the holes using a large steel ball and a piece of pipe.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Man, you do some beautiful work, MSRFAN.

And really cool your sharing your expertise! Can just imagine him passing it on 60 years from now. Just really cool, Buddy!

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Thanks Dan. I hope these kids retain what they learn, use it through life and pass it on. Nothing better than seeing them get good at what you teach them.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Today Max cut out the intake flanges from a piece of 1/4'' thick flat steel, and I cut a curve from some drop handlebars to mock up the engine to carb tube. Now need to get it welded up.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Thanks Curt, more to come.
Just got the bracket welded to the frame, one carb flange, and Max's kickstand kept sinking in the dirt and grass, so he asked me if I could put a little foot on the end. My grandson's getting to be a real good welder. I'll level the carb and get him to weld the other flange on tomorrow. Trying for a test run this weekend.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Yeah buddy. I hooked up the throttle and dropped the bike of to Max and he's been riding it ever since. Lost some set screws and shaft keys so he fixed it with hardware from Ace.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Yep won't see him till it brakes down, lol..or at least he knows how to fix it himself now. Fun to see these kids doing and fixing...............Curt

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
I modified the clutch to pivot more off center. It provides a lot more throw at the hand lever and makes it not so grabby and easier to feather for smooth take offs. It's the same mod I did to my 24'' Schwinn, so I knew the procedure. We added axle adjusters to the rear so the wheel will stay where it needs to. Then I took the air filter I made for Chip Foose's Whizzer and made it fit the Briggs carb. Also had to make a longer link for the throttle lever on the carb so his twist grip would have plenty of movement.

So it's ready for Donut Derelicts tomorrow. After Max works all the bugs out, we'll tear it down for painting. He's getting a set of Cyclops tires for it next week.

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Looks good Dale! He may want to rethink the cst cyclops if he rides it a lot. They wear very fast on the rear, front not so much. I get less than 1000mi on one rear. When ya buy tires buy 3, two for the rear and one for the front.