Concern about Legality in California

GoldenMotor.com

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
Yeah, 'cause no cop is gonna pull over anyone on a motorized bicycle with training wheels... :/

The law is the law. Adding a training wheel doesn't make it a trike. It makes it a hazard when you go around a corner and the wheel digs in, lifting up your drive wheel.

Probably better off getting all the required lights a quiet exhaust, and just ride safe. Explaining to a cop you just got caught out at night is easier than trying to put one over on them.

If I was a cop and some kid with a obviously rigged up third wheel told me, "but it's a trke, sir, look, 3 wheels." I'd give you a ticket, impound your bike, and make you call your mommy for a ride, just for messing with me.

Barnfresh

Sep 5, 2011
Nor-Cal
Yea, the training wheel thing wouldn't be a very smart idea for sure. You'd need to have your third wheel somewhat functional and designed to operate safely going down the road. I'm picturing a small platform just big enough to strap a cooler on may do it.

Riverdales27

Mar 20, 2015
USA
Thats good to know, it's the only bike I have. I have the metro headlight and hotshot. Haven't used the hotshot at all since I haven't ridden at night.

Motakitty

Feb 14, 2015
San Jose, ca
I've had cops look at me and just give me a smile. I ride in the bike lane with dot helmet, there's so few cops here in san Jose. I obey the laws of the road. The cops have better things to do than to pull over a bike. Plus most the time I'm in my VTA(bus) uniform so the cops know I know how to drive. I'm just gonna keep riding until I get pulled over and told I need a m licence which I don't have.

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
It's worth it to take the MSF course if you want your M1 license. The reason is, the driving test is done during the course on their bike that you have been riding on for a day or two. Also, it is much easier to pass the riding test with the course than on your ow bike at the DMV. Even older people with more riding experience take the course just for the easier test. I did the course back in 2006 when under 21 and it was easy peasy.

Then every time you renew your license, it's a simple matter of taking an additional written permit type test at the dmv to renew your M1. Easy.

Just taking the written test with no course will get you a permit that you can use to ride during daylight hours. Add a 3rd wheel, make it a sidecar, and you don't need any kind of test at all with no restrictions on when you can ride.

The price for 2015 for registration is $21 and it goes up by $1 every year. Just fill out your info, answer yes to all four questions, and mail it in with your check. Within two weeks you get your plate no questions asked.

gaffo

May 10, 2014
Norman
It's worth it to take the MSF course if you want your M1 license. The reason is, the driving test is done during the course on their bike that you have been riding on for a day or two. Also, it is much easier to pass the riding test with the course than on your ow bike at the DMV. Even older people with more riding experience take the course just for the easier test. I did the course back in 2006 when under 21 and it was easy peasy.

Then every time you renew your license, it's a simple matter of taking an additional written permit type test at the dmv to renew your M1. Easy.

Just taking the written test with no course will get you a permit that you can use to ride during daylight hours. Add a 3rd wheel, make it a sidecar, and you don't need any kind of test at all with no restrictions on when you can ride.

The price for 2015 for registration is $21 and it goes up by $1 every year. Just fill out your info, answer yes to all four questions, and mail it in with your check. Within two weeks you get your plate no questions asked.
Howdy. appreciate clarification if you could.

I don't live in CA - but OK - I took the MSF course and Failed it (it was 98 degrees and 6 hrs in - and during test under heat stress, I "put my foot down" and failed it. 150 bucks down the toilet. the other 20 or so passed the test.

oh well.

..............I have a sidecar setup (internet buy - I have to do the PDI myself before I ride her.

are you saying that sidecar setups do not need a motorcycle endorsement?

just welcome clarification on this matter.

thanks.

BikeMPG

Jun 10, 2013
SLO
My buddy is gonna be very stoked to find out that the law changed to 4hp or less! He wants to get the Fire Breather 5,000 engine.

thingswithwelding

Mar 22, 2016
Long Beach CA
I understand that a sidecar on a motorcycle makes anyone with a class c license legal to drive it. But, the law says nothing about 3 axles on a motorized bicycle. Are you guys sure that a "Motorized bicycle" would qualify? They are a different class you know... Id like to hear more on this subject of 3 axle motorized bicycles and the legalities of only having/requiring a class c license.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
I understand that a sidecar on a motorcycle makes anyone with a class c license legal to drive it. But, the law says nothing about 3 axles on a motorized bicycle. Are you guys sure that a "Motorized bicycle" would qualify? They are a different class you know... Id like to hear more on this subject of 3 axle motorized bicycles and the legalities of only having/requiring a class c license.
The definition of a Motorized Bicycle in CVC 406 (A) says 3 wheels is in the definition.

A Motorized Bicycle will never be a "Motorcyle" or "Motor-Driven Cycle" as defined by CA so the fact that you can drive a sidecar on a motorcycle with a class C license means absolutely nothing.

CaliforniaDMV said:
A "motorized bicycle" or "moped" is:

A two or three-wheeled device, capable of no more than 30 mph on level ground, and equipped with:

- Fully operative pedals for human propulsion.
- A motor producing less than four gross brake horsepower and an automatic transmission.
- An electric motor, with or without pedals for human propulsion. (CVC §406(a))
Driver must have a motorcycle license (M1 or M2).

thingswithwelding

Mar 22, 2016
Long Beach CA
The definition of a Motorized Bicycle in CVC 406 (A) says 3 wheels is in the definition.

A Motorized Bicycle will never be a "Motorcyle" or "Motor-Driven Cycle" as defined by CA so the fact that you can drive a sidecar on a motorcycle with a class C license means absolutely nothing.
So If I put a nice sidecar that holds groceries on my build, file the form for my plate, and wear a helmet- When I get pulled over on the 79cc with with sidecar, I show my Class C license and they should let me go with no M2 or M1- Providing I didnt break any driving rules?

Barnfresh

Sep 5, 2011
Nor-Cal
No you'll still need an M1 or M2 endorsement. "Motorcycles" with a sidecar, motorcycle trikes or reverse three wheel motorcycles can be operated with a class C only, no endorsement. I think The confusion here is from an earlier post where someone was looking for a workaround to not being able to ride at night on a learners permit and i quoted a vehicle code the may have exempted an MB with 3 wheels depending on ones interpetation.

Last edited:

thingswithwelding

Mar 22, 2016
Long Beach CA
No you'll still need an M1 or M2 endorsement. "Motorcycles" with a sidecar, motorcycle trikes or reverse three wheel motorcycles can be operated with a class C only, no endorsement. I think The confusion here is from an earlier post where someone was looking for a workaround to not being able to ride at night on a learners permit and i quoted a vehicle code the may have exempted an MB with 3 wheels depending on ones interpetation.
I wonder why? Seems to be the same thing to me. Just less horsepower. I looked and I cant find any information on motorized bicycles with sidecars because there is none. Not even mopeds with side cars which probably falls under one of those things where law enforcement would just say, " you cant do that" Id bet the same thing would happen if one did have an M1 with a sidecar on a real Moped. Theyd probably stop you and say, You cant have a side car on a moped. Only something more powerful being, they dont want you obstructing traffic in the bike lane with such a wide "bicycle" lol. I dont know-just saying. All in all, I think thats pretty cool that people can drive Motorcycles with a sidecar and the others with just a class c. Personally, I think 2 wheels are easier. I guess thats just how it goes for other reasons. I kind of wonder if a motorized bicycle+sidecar with an M1 attachment is illegal? It would probably cause you more problems than just riding two wheeled Motorized bicycle.

Last edited:

thingswithwelding

Mar 22, 2016
Long Beach CA

A Motorized Bicycle will never be a "Motorcyle" or "Motor-Driven Cycle" as defined by CA so the fact that you can drive a sidecar on a motorcycle with a class C license means absolutely nothing

What do you mean it means nothing? Are you saying they can give me a ticket for driving a real 3 wheeled motorcycle or "motorcycle with side car" because I only have a class c if they wanted too? Clear me in here. Or are you saying, since they attach the wording, "3 wheels" to their definition of "motorized bicycles" that has nothing to do with us motorized bicyclist using a class c to escape fines? I think I stated that correctly. Im trying to understand this stuff. Id rather obey the law thats all. This is the part that confuses me. I guess thats part of my answer then. People can lawfully put a sidecar on a moped, motorbike if they really wanted to. Funny though that I need an M2 or M1 to do so but a 3 wheel Ducati can fly past me with a class C. Blows my mind.

Last edited: