Anyone Know What I Have Here?

GoldenMotor.com

magwa

Jul 14, 2015
Coarsegold, CA
This bike followed me home from Craigslist today.

https://magwa.smugmug.com/Electric-BikeController/i-DndNH5J

In a hasty move, I ordered batteries that were way over my skill set to load on the bike ....
without knowing some important particulars.

I know that this bike is going to be too tall for me. So, it'll get fixed up and sold...Switched out for one more my, ahem, size.

I know that it runs like the wind. Although the seller was running huge poundage in SLAs. I have to dump those right away.
1000W 48v front hub has no connection for motor "off with brakes", and the handlebar full/empty lights attached to the thumb
throttle control is very basic.

I pulled the controller apart to see if anyone on the Forum might know what it is. There are a few "extra plugs" that aren't used
that were hidden in electrical tape, and the power line to the battery pack has a loose green wire in the plug...I assume on purpose.

There are almost no markings anywhere on any of the parts...Except the throttle handlebar lever that, on it's housing says "48v".
In fact, the previous owner said he ordered a 36v set up and they sent this....Then he had to buy more batteries.

So, if anyone sees this as a familiar set up, I'd love to hear about it. The junk hanging out of the controller was wrapped in 1.6 miles
of electrical tape...Not a good sign. But everything, while it looks typical Chinese...looks pretty good. And when I watched the P.O. ride it,
it ran very smoothly, quietly, and fast.

Attachments

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
That's a 9C clone. Should be a good set up. The controller looks like it has more fets than the 48v unit I have, a good thing. The unused plug with the black/red wire is probably the brake connection. Some controllers have connections for the pedal assist system, along with anti-theft wiring, head light etc. If you go to ebay and look at 48v controllers most sellers have the controller "road mapped". Chances are you will find that one there. The throttle is only a "48v" due to the fact that it has the "fuel" lights set for that voltage. Would work on most controllers it properly plugs into.

You have the basics of a good ebike system. You now face the battery conundrum we all face. Weight/voltage/amperage/chemistry/$$.

Very NICE trailer btw!

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Looks like you've got the makings for a good e bike. I'm kind of where you are on the learning curve, trying to get up to speed on lipos and wondering if I should just stay with lead acid batteries. My setup is a trike and the front wheel Golden Motor is 36 V and an early version. With a trike there is no problem in finding a spot low down for the batteries to go, so I'm tempted to just use the lead acid.
Good luck to you on your venture.
SB

Lungcookie

Aug 15, 2013
Oregon
That is not that sickbike parts control.

That control is a 15fet good to 75amps. 5 amps per fet as I understand, ru7088r mosfets, i cant find the voltage limit on them.
If you dump 50v into it at 75amps that would be 3750 watts and would probably rip the motor off the fork, is there a torque arm on it?

Can you cancel your order to HK?
I don't want to read about you burning down your place because you read some stuff here and maybe jumped the gun a little.

Extra wires can be for programing, ebrakes or power switch.

We will set you straight on the LiPo, its just not a chemistry I would recommend to new users or folks looking for ease of use.

You will have to have some form of voltmeter, if you run these out of juice kiss them goodby.

Last edited:

magwa

Jul 14, 2015
Coarsegold, CA
After I read your "don't do it" post last evening, I spent an hour with a nice computer robot at HK...Maybe there was a person behind the keyboard, though.

I was able to cancel the order. I'll have to wait "seven business days" for the refund. But, all's good.

Now, on with the head scratching.....Many good tips from a lot for fine folks here. I REALLY appreciate every comment.dance1

P.S. Two torque arms. But the bike's too tall. So, I'm looking for a different bike. After I do some tuning and a little cosmetic clean up,
I'll move the Sierra off to someone taller.

Last edited:

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
It all looks good and clean. Just swap it over to your new bike and your good to go. Nothing wrong with electrical tape that's what its made for. I like duck tape too.

Lungcookie

Aug 15, 2013
Oregon
I would say that this battery that K007 linked before would be a good choice for most of you guys. Or something similar.

https://bmsbattery.com/ebike-battery/786-48v116ah-case-08-bottle-panasonic-battery-pack-battery.html

Have to limit the amps to 20 to make that 10AH battery last.
Up to about 20 miles at 20MPH, depending on weight and a half dozen other factors..
If you want more amps/speed/range, get a larger AH.

Shipping might be $100, I don't know.
You just plug it in to charge, it turns off automatic and wont burn down your house if you space off for some reason.

Personally I would lean towards the EM3EV that KC linked but way more money.
And then again I generally only use under 4AH on my 8-10 mile ride now so that's just more weight to be packing around and cost.

magwa

Jul 14, 2015
Coarsegold, CA
I would recommend this at $370+ sh. http://www.conhismotor.com/ProductShow.asp?id=459 I bought a battery pack from them for my motobecane and it is still working fine. Shipping was very fast too.
Thanks. I made the inquiry on that battery to their "sales department" and got this:

sales <[email protected]>

Subject:
Re: Battery Inquiry
Date:
Sat, 12 Sep 2015 13:10:44 +0800

Dear William,

Ok no problem.

1. The shipping cost is about USD135 by air.

2. We use our own brand which was produced by our partner company who produce battery cells in large quantity.
And this cell is power type cell for ebike (not digital type for energy storage)

3. We need about 3-4 days for produce and test, then delivery need about 5-7 days.

Thanks.

best regards
jason

I thanked him and declined. It was probably still a good deal. And, maybe if he had said,
"...we guarantee name brand batteries in the construction", and that was accurate
(although I'm not sure how I would find that out...).

If it was a U.S. company? And I could make a road trip out of it and drive to pick the pack up...
...and visit the facility? That would be fun. I'd probably jump on the $370 price for that.

But, I'm still suffering from "battery sticker shock"....Not surprised. Just pissed that the cost is so high.
48V 15Ah and a charger that works with it should be within "everyman's" reach.

I guess when it is, there will be more ebike enthusiasts, less gas used by commuters and hobbyists alike,
and more fun for all.

No sense complaining. I'll get there without taking out a second mortgage. ****, I could sleep on it and book
a trip to China in the morning!!!!!!

:-||

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Out of my financial means. It's enough to make an old guy take another look at heavy lead acid batteries... at least it is for this old guy. I'm going to make do for now with three bricks to make up 36 volts, keep them as low to the ground and as centered as I can and wait until either prices come down on the safe stuff or the inexpensive RC stuff gets safer to use. My project is a hybrid trike which will be heavy anyway and no need for speed. 20 mph is fast on a trike. You'll figure something out and by spring your money tree may sprout some leaves... ha! My long term plan is to write a letter to Santa Claus.
SB

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
This is the problem with ebiking at this point. Until prices drop or some new type battery develops we are stuck picking among the current chemistries. Remember the 18650 based batteries are lithium based and to a lesser extent prone to fires also. You have to step into the Lifepo4 arena and $$ to have basically benign chemistry(excepting SLAs). And since all ebike packs contain pretty good amperage, all pose an element of danger/fire.

As I have stated before Lipos are all around in the hands of battery noobs with the influx of the drone craze. You are gonna hear about fires with this kind of unlearned handling. With understanding Lipos are very safe. As LC says(best I recall) no worse than handling gasoline, you have to use care.

If anyone is interested a thread could be started on the safe handling of Lipos.
I'm sure LC would contribute. It seems in this forum he and I are the biggest users of this chemistry. Its a staple over at the Sphere.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I for one vote yes on a thread dedicated to the safe handling of lipo batteries. There is no guarantee that everyone will heed the cautions, but at least some of us will pay very close attention, just as we do to well anchored fenders, reliable brakes, safe riding and the use of helmets.
SB

magwa

Jul 14, 2015
Coarsegold, CA
Absolutely on the thread.....And thanks in advance.

I got an email note back from China this morning.

I had, benignly, asked why the shipping was so much. He said that for a same sized part...like a motor part (his example) that weighed a similar amount,
the cost would be about 60USD. It was about the chemistry thing.

He suggested my calling a shipping agent stateside to see if the 135USD could be reduced. My fine tuning sensed a note of, "I've been here before" in his reply.

What we really need to do is get the manufacturing sector of the US economy back on track. But, although relevant to this task, that's another story.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
That's funny. I have ordered many of the dastardly Lipos form HKs china warehouse with standard shipping. In fact they were just basically thrown in the box with minimal packing. I could just imagine these in the cargo hold of some airliner.

The last ones ordered came from the USA side and were a bit better packed. Still no hazmat charges or labeling. By the shape of the box, I can envision them being thrown around by the package handlers along the way. Good thing they are not as volatile as people think!

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
If your like me you have to save up for awile but its worth it. That's why I have 3 ebikes but only 2 battery packs. If I had the money that's what I would get. I would go with turnigy 5.0's over SLA's. SLA's really suck man. Been there done that aint doing it again.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
I have several ebikes but I don't have "specific" packs. I just mix and match the "sub" packs into what ever I want to ride at the moment from 24-67.2v. Its nice to have modular plug and play ability.

I agree on the SLA thing. Unless you have something like a trike like SB has they really kill a good bit of the fun factor of the bike being so heavy.