Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Whizzer Motorized Bicycles

Whizzer Motorized Bicycles Whizzer bicycles are still produced today and are one of the oldest motor bikes around. Share some of your stories about this timeless classic with us today

Old 09-16-2008, 12:09 AM
Motorized Bicycle Member

Default Re: history of whizzer

Keith, your reply's are like time machines. Thanks for having such a vivid memory, I just wish you had taken pictures back then!
Old 09-20-2008, 09:36 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

I was born in Pontiac, MI. The Whizzer Factory was on my paper rte. A neighbor of mine was lucky enough to have a dad that put a used Whizzer engine on a very old motorcycle frame. Quite often, he would let me ride it. The frame was complete with crash bars and foot pads. There was no way to start it...except pushing. The centrifugal clutch kicked-in and we jumped on hopefully without tripping over the crash bar-foot pad combo. Then once we got going...did I mention there wasn't any compression release lever? We just had to slow it down enough to let the centrifugal clutch kick-out. It was the worst thing on two wheels, but we loved every minute. Unless it quit at the bottom of a hill that was uphill in both directions. that meant we had to push it uphill so we could run it back downhill and hope it started before we hit the bottom again.
Anyway here's a little trivia that very few people know--the Whizzer Factory was located at the corner of S. Sanford and Osmun St.
I just found out about 2 months ago that Whiizzers were back. I was planning on getting one just about 3 days before our air conditioner quit.
Oh well!!!!
Old 09-22-2008, 12:27 AM
Angry Old Fart

A/C is important...but summer is almost over and there's nothing like the Whizzer breeze
Old 07-24-2010, 12:32 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

The article posted on the 1993 Whizzer refers to a product made from Kohler engine parts and some fabricated new parts. The engines did not run well. I received many inquiries on how to get them running. The owner sold his inventory to the present company.

Shortly after the sale I received a telephone call from one of the new owners. The producer of those bikes did not own the Whizzer Trademark. At that time I arranged to sell the Trademark rights.

I was tired of the cut throat environment of manufacturing. I can empathize with the problems the Whizzer Motorbike Company has had with their overseas connections.

Last edited by Mister Z; 07-24-2010 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 08-18-2010, 05:20 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

Great post. What a lovely little bike, I would collect them if I lived in the states.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:54 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

This thread should be a "sticky" in the Whizzer forum. It's great reading and very educational.
Jay

Last edited by jbcruisin; 08-19-2010 at 06:21 AM.
Old 08-20-2010, 04:37 AM
Godfather of Motorized Bicycles

I have never seen a Whizzer that ran for very long without some major mods....maybe they should work on that instead of the hype and fancy paint.

Too expensive for a made in Taiwan bike with problems right out of the box.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:02 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

In 1945 the war was just over and at age eleven I used earnings from my paper route to have a guy down the alley from our 3rd avenue apartment in Hazleton, PA to install a used overhauled Whizzer onto an English (Ralston?) 28 inch bike frame wih an expandable Bendix rear hub brake. it had a belt drive, a clutch grip on the left and a compression release and throttle on the right grip. I added a Sears front caliper brake so stopping was prery good. I rode it everywhere around Hazleton and later around Behlehem, PA and Lehigh Valley. it was very reliable and I was the mechanic. I never had to do a thing with the engine, except to replace the head gasket twice. it is a very fond memory. It was fascinating to read the complete history of Whizzer here! I had no idea. My ride now is a Suzuki AN400 scooter. It's a fine machine, perfect for what I do every day. However, it would be fun to start a Whizzer business now. I wonder if there are any live Whizzers around here in North Attleboro, MA?
Old 09-22-2011, 06:16 PM

Cool Along Came Helmutt

Throwing a Monkey Wrench Into? or adding to? The legend of the old Whizzer..?

Now even though the Bike Never exsisted in real life in 1937 I Just wanted it to appear as if shouldve been....

Just Saying..

The
Highway (1) Flat Tracker
Built By George Whitney.
Of CoCo Beach Florida.
Authorized Helmutt Dealer
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVC-740F.JPG (124.3 KB, 233 views)
File Type: jpg 226242_164442590283799_122092537852138_389305_2129989_n.jpg (135.9 KB, 230 views)
DK-Helmuttcycles@cox.net
602-405-0394

Last edited by Helmutt Cycles; 09-26-2011 at 09:04 PM.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:12 PM

I was looking around and saw this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Engine-kit-f...item33844a0f6b and this http://www.cruzzermotorbikes.com/