Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Bicycle Motor > 2 Stroke Bicycle Engines & Kits

2 Stroke Bicycle Engines & Kits 2 stroke engine kits need careful installation and setup, find out how from our professionals here!

Old 01-11-2017, 02:23 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: 2nd tank of gas, bike wont start

Does the pison have any scrapes and gouges anywhere on it? Are any of the rings broken? Do you seen any gouges in the cylinder? How about where the piston hooks on to the connecting rod? Does everyone look ok? How is the wrist pin and the wrist pin baring? If you found "debris" in your engine that sounds like a problem. Rubber sand? Whatever that is clean it all out. Also, did you lose a seal or something? Take the side plates off and have a look at them. Tell me, when you try to start it can you feel compression? I mean, when you release the clutch lever does it turn over and do you have compression?
Old 01-11-2017, 07:47 AM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

Piston looks ok. It looks like there is some scoring on the cylinder walls. The attached image shows the horizontal scoring. Its a little hard to see but there is also a vertical gap in the scoring of the cylinder wall at 12:00.

Again sorry for the lack of any sort of knowledge or experience on my part. I'm not sure about the compression. When I release the clutch there is a good 3 second pause before anything feels any different. When the choke is on it sounds like nothing is going on, choke off the engine sounds like its trying to do something. You can hear the cylinder going up and down throughout.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0861.JPG (310.1 KB, 7 views)
Old 01-11-2017, 08:49 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Alright, pictures are good. Posting them really helps. I don't see anything bad happening in that picture, although I can't see the entire inside of the cylinder, if there is a large vertical gouge that would be a problem but I don't see that. It don't look like a problem. If you don't see anything bad on the piston the top end should be ok. I think you can put that back together. Don't forget to line the rings up with the pins and squeeze the rings together to get the cylinder back on, you don't want to break the rings putting it back on. Also, make sure the base gasket is good before you put the cylinder on.

However, when you release the clutch lever (and engage the motor) the compression should happen instantaneously, it shouldn't take 3 seconds! Are you sure the clutch is working right? When you pull in the clutch lever the back wheel should spin freely and the instant you release it it should immediately be more difficult to move because of the compression. If this is not happening you probably just need to adjust the clutch cable or clutch itself.

Also, tell me more about this "debris" you found? How much was there? Where was it? Was it particles of rubber? You should remove the magno case plate and check the rubber seals!

Last edited by Tyler6357; 01-11-2017 at 09:06 AM.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:31 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

I'll second the suggestion to check that the clutch is really engaging. I've only built one bike and I couldn't get it started at first. I thought the clutch was engaging, but it turned out to be that it was slipping so the engine wasn't turning over. Tightened the clutch and started right up.