Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 12-21-2016, 06:11 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Question Can you get back the $ you put into a bike?

I'm getting the Schwinn for my 212 build tomorrow. My dad is conccerned this is an endevour where I may not get my money back.

If I were to build a solid, attractive bike for anywhere from $600-$900, got it registered, and advertised it well in a big city, do you think I'd get my money back? Opinions? Experiences? I'm good at selling things, at least that's what I'm told.

I enjoy building these things but I constantly am trying new projects and hobbies (After this bike will be, likely another bike, a wrist-mounted propane flamethrower, and a para-motor). This means I sometimes have a short attention span for a lot of things that I build. That's why I always try to invest in things I can at least get my money back in.

Sadly I have to go visit family in CA so I won't be building for two weeks. I'm still hunting for a mountain bike to strip for the Schwinn.

Thank you
Old 12-21-2016, 07:15 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Can you get back the $ you put into a bike?

In a word? NO!.

I've recently sold two bikes and recovered about 1/2 of what I had put into them to build. And, I felt lucky to get that.
Unless you're able to buy all of the parts necessary well below retail, don't expect to make a profit selling a motorized bicycle for more than you have in it.
Some folks have been successful selling bikes but they are the exception. Almost without fail you'll loose money, especially when you factor in your time building it.
But, that's just my opinion based on personal experience. Others will have differing views.

Tom
Old 12-21-2016, 07:36 PM

I've sold one for parts cost because I like building them. But the only way I was able to do that was by custom building the bike for the person, and having them pay for the parts. If I were to try to pre-build one and sell it, I'd be lucky to get what I put into it.
Old 12-21-2016, 07:54 PM

if one keeps cost of bike & parts under $300, then $100 can be made if one waits long enough for a buyer

building an expensive, custom bike to customer's specs is often profitable
Old 12-21-2016, 08:34 PM

Well, I want my own custom bike, so. Either I find someone to sell it to one day or just keep on riding. Although, I should be 16 to be driving these things, especially a 212. But I m 15...
Old 12-21-2016, 09:09 PM

A thought to ponder...........would your dad rather you spend the money on this or on something that is illegal or destructive?

I've got way more money in mine than I'll ever get back. With that being said, this has probably been the cheapest hobby that I've had in many years --- and that's the best way to look at it.
Old 12-21-2016, 09:12 PM

.......No.
Old 12-21-2016, 09:19 PM

I gave up trying to sell my previous full custom bikes. I posted them locally on CL and in the sale section here, never got a binding agreement to sell at cost of parts, just offers for trades and services. I'm just going to keep them and trick them out with updates and mods, it would be nice to recoup costs for new projects but I can't justify giving them away. The bikes for sale around here are typically a kit installed on a used bike and some paintwork for around $300. Most people don't know the vast differences between a bike with a happy time engine, 49cc Morini, or 212cc, in riding experience and amount of maintenance required.
Old 12-21-2016, 09:37 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xseler View Post
I've got way more money in mine than I'll ever get back. With that being said, this has probably been the cheapest hobby that I've had in many years --- and that's the best way to look at it.
AMEN to that! I wish that I would have found this hobby years ago. It would have saved me literally over a hundred thousand dollars in Hot-Rod cars.

Old 12-21-2016, 11:23 PM

Yes, this is a cheap hobby for grown men with jobs. But what the heck. It's worth it. Hopefully I can keep costs down so that I may be able to get my money back, but it will be fun anyway. I can always make more money by... other means.