Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Cruiser Bicycles

Motorized Cruiser Bicycles The beach cruiser has always been great bicycles to motorize. They just look good with a motor. Use this section to share and discuss about motorizing this classic.

Old 12-08-2016, 01:11 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Dave's 1962 Schwinn Briggs Bike

Just hooked back up with Dave, one of my old desert racing buddies and he wanted to put a Whizzer together. He's a great guy and we had tons of fun back in the day. I convinced him to build a Briggs bike first so he can have something to ride while gathering Whizzer parts. I gave him this Schwinn cruiser 20 or 30 years ago and we're going to use it. My pretty standard design with a tilted 5hp motor and front drum brake. He's a Harley biker and wanted apes, fish tail exhaust and a springer fork instead of moped stuff, so It will be a little different. Also a 3D Motorsports clutch converted to belt drive and mounted on the jack shaft.

Last edited by msrfan; 12-11-2016 at 01:35 PM.
Old 12-08-2016, 08:36 PM

Default Re: Dave's 1962 Schwinn Briggs Bike

What are the wheels? another master piece for msrfan.............Curt
Old 12-08-2016, 10:16 PM

Thanks Curt, the wheels are CMC chrome plated steel with 12ga SS spokes from Husky. Nice and strong.
Old 12-09-2016, 07:12 AM

Thanks, they sure look nice ...............Curt
Old 12-09-2016, 11:38 AM

I look for them at swap meets. They seem to be plentiful, but I could always use some spares.
Old 12-09-2016, 11:44 AM

I really like this bike build, the bars and fork look great.

I see you are keeping busy, glad to see you helping the kids, I offered to help them as well.

Last edited by culvercityclassic; 12-09-2016 at 06:04 PM.
Old 12-09-2016, 05:01 PM

Thanks Jeff. You and your bike were quite a hit at Donut Derelicts, especially with the kids. I'm sure if your shop was close by, you would have that whole gang there all the time. They're starving for knowledge that you can't get at school now that there's no shop classes. It's up to us to teach them a certain amount now so they understand that the I T world has a whole infrastructure that people who work with their hands has to support.

Last edited by msrfan; 01-04-2017 at 10:24 PM.
Old 12-11-2016, 12:17 PM

We didn't want to use clunky pillow block jack shaft bearings because they take up a lot of room, are heavy and look way too industrial. So my grandson and I designed and made a housing that holds the clutch and two 2 bolt flange bearings. Taking it a bit farther, we machined it so we could anchor one end of the bearings and swing the other ends to create about an inch of adjustment. Then we tried to make it look custom with the sides following the curve of the clutch. This will then be welded into the seat post tube by cutting out the appropriate amount first in a location to best locate the belts/chains. It will accommodate the standard 3D Motorsport clutch or the modified belt drive unit.

Last edited by msrfan; 12-11-2016 at 12:24 PM.
Old 12-11-2016, 12:48 PM

LOL, my Case snow blower has the same adjusting set up. Works good, Love your set up, just plan KOOL..............Curt
Old 12-11-2016, 01:32 PM

Thanks Curt. It may look a little bulky, but a good paint job can hide or reshape things to look more pleasing. Once all the other components are bolted on, it will look better. I tried to shape it to have no sharp corners. Still have to line it up exactly, make some transition collars to go from the thin 1'' tubing to the 3/16'' housing, and weld it in. Plenty of room for intake and exhaust pieces and easier belt selection with all the adjustment. Need to figure out the piece that keeps the clutch release mechanism from rotating and set up the cable bracket with adjuster. Being thick metal, I can thread it for the cable adjuster anywhere on it. I'm getting excited to see how the clutch performs on a jack shaft instead of on the engine crankshaft.