Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Cruiser Bicycles

Motorized Cruiser Bicycles The beach cruiser has always been great bicycles to motorize. They just look good with a motor. Use this section to share and discuss about motorizing this classic.

Old 11-28-2016, 08:10 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

Smile Re: The Rubber City Flyer

Yesterday, I was triumphant and won the battle of the fender mounting screw at the bottom of the fork! I soaked the rusted $*&# overnight with PB Blaster. Then Sunday morning, I put the fork, with fender still attached, in my vise and used a pair of vise-grips on the head of the screw. Felt it break loose and slowly screwed it out. No damage, no break off, I guess some of my ole hotrod tricks are paying off.

Old 11-28-2016, 08:16 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

Cool Re: The Rubber City Flyer

Today, my tank arrived from Pat (Sportsman Flyer). I can't believe how nice this is! It looks sweet, feels great, and fits perfect! So stoked about this build. If you have a 1950s Schwinn straight bar frame, You want this tank.

Last edited by Robertzep; 11-28-2016 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Image additions
Old 12-04-2016, 12:45 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: The Rubber City Flyer

Looks really good, are you going to make top bar tank clamps, or is it tight enough with just the front and bottom clamp?
Old 12-04-2016, 01:18 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

Hey ZipTie, Glad you like the build. As for the tank clamps on the bottom, they are supplied by Sportsman Flyer, and hold the tank more than tight, movement is minimal when torqued down. My build is in the mock-up staging at this point. When I am finished the tank clamp screws will be loctited also.

Sportscarpat, aka "Sportsman Flyer" uses these tanks and clamps on his Bonneville Salt Lake Speed record holding bikes. Good quality equipment.
Old 12-04-2016, 01:26 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

Nothing major today, just a good day to soak the crankset.

I have sorted out my S-7 wheelset and will show my plan later.
Old 12-04-2016, 09:15 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

Robertzep, I have been following your build and really like what you are doing. It certainly takes time to have a quality, dependable, build. Back to your paint question: just wondering if you have visited your local automotive paint supplier? The paint supply houses, around here, can colour match any shade in any finish and paint type you desire. Luckily, my bike's paint colour was found in the paint isle at a chain auto parts store but for my vehicles I get a pint of touch-up as well as one or two cans of spray paint made up from the auto paint supplier. Good luck!
Old 12-04-2016, 09:24 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

Robertzep, I really like what you are doing and have been following. It takes time for a reliable ride to come together.
Back to your paint question, I am wondering if you have visited your local automotive paint supply house? I was lucky enough to match my bike's paint color at a chain auto parts store. For my vehicles, though, I get a pint of touch up and one or two cans of spray paint made by auto painters supply. They can normally make sprays in a variety of finishes and paint types. Good luck!
Old 12-06-2016, 06:46 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

Thumbs up Re: The Rubber City Flyer

Hey JankeyKevin, I am glad you like what I'm doing with my build. I agree that time and taking more time produces a great and thought out machine. This forum is a "How to guide", for about any type of bike or engine combination available; then modify to your needs. As to your suggestion on Automotive paint stores, it just so happens that Sherman Williams supplied paint to Schwinn. I have been told if I go to a Sherman Williams automotive paint store they can hook me up on the Coach Green and Ivory in enamel! Luckily, I work right around the corner from on of SW paint stores. I think, I'll stop there tomorrow during lunch...
Old 12-08-2016, 03:31 PM

[QUOTE=Robertzep;647608]Today, my tank arrived from Pat (Sportsman Flyer). I can't believe how nice this is! It looks sweet, feels great, and fits perfect! So stoked about this build. If you have a 1950s Schwinn straight bar frame, You want this tank.

Absolutely!!, This is my favorite Schwinn frame .
I have 7 straight bar frame built bikes total. here is the last one I built in Red powdercaoting
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0953.JPG (50.1 KB, 36 views)
Old 12-19-2016, 04:20 PM

Very excited to see this build happen. I apologize if I missed it, but what engine are you using?