Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Cruiser Bicycles

Motorized Cruiser Bicycles The beach cruiser has always been great bicycles to motorize. They just look good with a motor. Use this section to share and discuss about motorizing this classic.

Old 11-21-2016, 10:55 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

Cool The Rubber City Flyer

Well, initially I planned on making a board tracker, and still intend to down the line. But due to a recent acquisition, I am building a Cruiser! I found this 1956 B.F. Goodrich Spitfire. Since the bike is a B.F Goodrich marketed Schwinn, and I live in Akron, Ohio, I have decided to name her the "Rubber City Flyer". Overall, the bike has solid frame with pretty good original paint for being 60 years old.

I plan on cleaning her really good and touching up the paint, re-grease the crank bearings and headset bearings. The fenders need massaged or replaced. And, yes I will reinforce the brackets and braces also. Since it is a middle-weight frame, I intend to embrace her for what she is a middle-weight Schwinn! I am going to make my own beefed up S-7 wheel set with a Sturmey Archer Dynamo 90mm drum front hub, and Shimano cb-e110 coaster on the rear. I really wanted balloon tires, yet I want to keep the fenders and not have to mess with making them work. I found a pretty cool compromise... 26 x 2 x 1 3/4 Wide Profile S-7 tires made by Sunlite and maybe others.

So, in my book, I get the best of both S-2 and S-7 rims! Think I will paint the rims Coach Green to match the bike.

Here is the Pre-War Truss that I am going to use on this build.

I just received an email stating that my Panther tank from Pat (Sportsman Flyer) has shipped. I plan on running a 2 stroke china girl, but haven't set on a vendor yet.

Does anyone know of any info, color codes and such on color matching Schwinn paint, especially, Coach Green and Ivory? I have found on the interwebs some guys with very expensive rattle cans that claim to be a good match, but I would like an enamel automotive paint to shoot with an airbrush or brush on areas that need touch-up. More to come soon, I will start mocking her up as more parts arrive.

Last edited by Robertzep; 11-22-2016 at 07:44 AM.
Old 11-22-2016, 07:24 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

Default Re: The Rubber City Flyer

Hey on the paint info... anybody try this site? If so how close are the colors.
http://www.vintageschwinn.com/paint.html
Old 11-23-2016, 01:25 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Welcome to the Forum Robert. Should be a super nice build! As far as the paint site I have 0 idea but perhaps someone I would ask for a color chip of the actual paint before plunking down all that money. They look like small cans.
If it was me I would look for Krylon brand matches, that shade of green is pretty common. They sell it at walmart or other big box hardware stores. I love Krylon as it dries hard and fast then clear coat it with Krylon triple thick clear. Stuff looks factory. Plus most Krylons have the primer built in. Even if you use any brand the Krylon tri thick clear rocks.
Old 11-23-2016, 07:51 AM

I love it already! I never knew big box companies had marketing bikes back then. I know plenty of examples today (GMC, Hummer, red bull, fat tire, even Jimmy Buffett).

You can also see if a local Sherwin Williams store can produce the paint. That's pretty pricey for rattle cans.
Old 11-23-2016, 10:44 AM
Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker

Man, that's a nice bike with original paint. Giving it a rattle can paint job will just make it worth less money. I'd keep it as it and find a different bike to restore or change.
Old 11-23-2016, 11:06 AM
Motorized Bicycle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscarpat View Post
Man, that's a nice bike with original paint. Giving it a rattle can paint job will just make it worth less money. I'd keep it as it and find a different bike to restore or change.
Pat, You are totally correct! I do not want to rattle can paint this bicycle. I only want to touch up small areas. And, maybe not at all. I do want to match the green to paint my rims, repaired fenders, and your tank. Just as I stated, I am not even going to fight S2/Balloon tires either. She is a middleweight bike and actually the first generation in Schwinn's foray in to them.
Old 11-23-2016, 11:09 AM
Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker

Cool! We have to preserve the history as best we can. I had a similar bike that was the black and white, maybe creme, color. People would always comment on the factory paint.
Old 11-26-2016, 12:19 PM

Thumbs up Re: The Rubber City Flyer

Welcome to the forum Robert!; I too have a panther & hornet on this site. I had to re-finish mine cause they were pretty rough & needed new paint/ powder coating . Just recently sold a 1950 Red panther w/ 2 stroke engine , from DAX. He's on the left of the screen. The Schwinn straight bar bikes are one of my favorite to motorize. Did you get to look at the motor mounts from m&mbikeparts.com ? Your bike looks amazing & the paint looks great for being that old. Well enough rambling,,, I can't wait to see the progress of your build! Good luck & have fun with it ,,,, later DOC
Old 11-26-2016, 05:21 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

Thumbs up Re: The Rubber City Flyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyoldcrusier View Post
Did you get to look at the motor mounts from m&mbikeparts.com ?
DOC,
Yes I did, they only make 1_1/2", 1_1/4" and 1_1/8" now. However, they can make me two (1") reducer bushings. Thanks for the input. This is the route I will go!
Old 11-26-2016, 05:52 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

Smile Re: The Rubber City Flyer

Today was very relaxing and productive. In fact, I didn't even curse once at the bike like I do when I work on cars! Anyway, completely stripped the bicycle down to the frame. The only problem that I encountered was the lower screw holding the front fender to the steering tube is rust up pretty good. I sprayed it good with PB Blaster and will let it soak over night. Tomorrow, I will put the tube in a vise and extract that screw. After removing everything from the bike, I inspected bearings of the headset and crank. They look good; just needing a good cleaning and re-greased. The frame got it's first bath in many years. I just used hot water and Dawn dish soap.

Definitely, needs the paint touched in places, especially by in the Ivory.