Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Bicycle Motor > DIY Home Built Motorized Bicycle (non kit)

DIY Home Built Motorized Bicycle (non kit) Post all about your home built rides here. Weedwacker motors, lawn mower engines ect. This area is for non kit builds

Old 10-29-2016, 04:14 PM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member

Angry Re: Can only seem to find big engines..bike ideas?

Today I drove 1/2 hour to buy an old 60's steel Schwinn cruiser. I got the and this petite girl carries it down a flight of stairs with one hand comfortably. I told her on the phone I was looking for a heavy steel bike. She told me that the bike was about 45 lbs. I get there its 17 at best. It also said made in China on the frame!!! She said it was made in China in the 60's. Maybe year of the weasel. She is stupid stupid stupid. Thanks for wasting my time with a Walmart bike!!!! I could have done something productive like heroin!!!
Old 10-31-2016, 11:27 PM

Default Re: Can only seem to find big engines..bike ideas?

Gotta go drive 45 mins tomorrow to see a 64 Columbia paperboy special. It is in beautiful shape. All original except for a springer front end. He still has original fork. I hope it's not too beautiful to weld in my mounts. I need to brush up on they're serial numbers. I know how the name plate was for the entire 1960's. Now the only problem I can anticipate is that in the 90's Columbia made alot of retro bikes. I believe that the name plate should have a big c in the middle. If it is were these retro bikes still made in Westfield mass? Or are they China crap.

Last edited by Seabass; 10-31-2016 at 11:30 PM.
Old 11-01-2016, 09:57 PM

Got the bike, its the real deal. Its a beauty, cont wait to start fitting the 8 hp briggs!!!!!I'll have to start getting pic's!!!
Old 11-03-2016, 10:44 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Great, you might like:

Mike Chiavetta's Curtis Motorbike
http://motorbicycling.com/showpost.p...2&postcount=14
Old 11-03-2016, 11:11 PM

Mat i really dig it. I think he has to have giant balls to be running that big Kohler with all that torque down to a rag joint in the spokes. I don't know how I feel about that. I guess it's working for him.

I'm running into a problem mounting the motor. I really don't want to cut the cross bar in the middle, the bike is too cool for that. I'm going to have to lean the engine way forward. Now my lawnmower guy called for me to recycle 12 snowblowers that he can't get fixed(he isn't very good). Heck I got that 8 from him. I'm thinking I'm going to see if he has a 5 hp. They are about 3 inches shorter and should be an easy fit. I don't know I kind want the 8 hp. Havent made up my mind yet.

Last edited by Seabass; 11-03-2016 at 11:15 PM.
Old 11-04-2016, 05:32 PM

In the future just ask the seller if a magnet sticks to the frame. Could save you a trip.

I'd put the 8hp in there. I'll tell you this much, about a month ago I drag raced a guy with a stand-up scooter and a large flathead guessing it was an 8hp/300cc and I lost... I have an ohv 212cc with a much less efficient drivetrain, but still at around 50mph he was leading by about 4ft... Maybe if I had a single chain going to the back we'd be about even.. Believe me a stocker 8hp with govnor removed and not much else will be a blast!
Old 11-04-2016, 07:38 PM

Photo bucket is down..just keep pics here..heck, I do it on a windows Lumina 8.1..with pic sizer.

Last edited by scratchbuilder; 11-04-2016 at 07:39 PM. Reason: fix err
Old 11-05-2016, 09:45 PM

Took all ducting off the motor. Tried to slim it down to make it fit. Not even close. Going to have to save the 8 hp for a different frame. Got to see if I can get a 5. Almost bought a 212 predator today. Coupon for $96.00! Couldnt do it ive seen way to many POS come out of that store!!!

Watch I'll end up getting one. Just couldnt do it untill this snowblower thing is over.

Last edited by Seabass; 11-05-2016 at 09:50 PM.
Old 11-07-2016, 08:45 PM

Well I ended up getting a 212 predator 94.99 after coupon. Stripped the motor of all the BS at lunch and fit it to the bike. Its going to fit ok. Going to save the briggs and Tecumseh 8hps for different projects. Havent decided if I should buy a mount or make one. Seems pretty easy to make. Still got to buy 1/8 plate and roll the edges at the shop across from mine. Might be easier to just buy one. Hmmm

Last edited by Seabass; 11-07-2016 at 08:47 PM.
Old 11-12-2016, 02:17 PM

Disaster!!!! I made a quick cheapo stand from my scrap metal bin. Fitted the motor on and noticed the weld is cracked on the bottom top tube. Now I was looking at the frame closely and noticed that it was the only welded tube all others look brazed. Think im just going to cut out the extra tube. I will send you guys pics tomorrow. Remember this is a 1964 Columbia and has an extra tube. Without this tube in place one of the 8 hp motors will fit i just dont know how much I trust the frame for that power. Might stay with the 212 predator.

Last edited by Seabass; 11-12-2016 at 03:57 PM.