Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Bicycle Motor > DIY Home Built Motorized Bicycle (non kit)

DIY Home Built Motorized Bicycle (non kit) Post all about your home built rides here. Weedwacker motors, lawn mower engines ect. This area is for non kit builds

Old 10-26-2016, 09:06 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: Can only seem to find big engines..bike ideas?

We had Austin's Vanden Plas Allegro for an ugly competitor, but we beat America hands down with the range of shades of turd you could buy them in.

Trikes, you either love or hate them. You adapt to the behaviour of them, and they are useful for towing/carrying things. Just don't forget you can't get through the gaps as easily
Old 10-27-2016, 07:57 PM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member

Didnt Ashton have a Legondo or something like that In the 70's. Kinda looked like a delorian and a Toyota mr2 had deformed baby? Here is one for you. Check out an amc matador. My buddy still has one of these winners on the road!!!
Old 10-27-2016, 11:17 PM

Ok had an idea for my CVT. I was thinking of using a steel plate from the motor''s pto mount and attaching it to the seat post part of the frame. I would have to extend the legth of my CVT belt, but the jackshaft would then be solid mount to the frame and the pto mount would be helping to secure my motor. Was kinda thinking I may be able to attach the plate to the forward drop tube as well and I could call that my lower motor mount. Now it is a giant 8 hp Briggs so I will have to make an upper mount too.

Now I've been entertaining this idea for a couple hours now. I looked around a bit for a chart to help me figure out what belt to use but couldn't find one just a bunch of guys saying send in the measurements and I can buy one which maybe what I do since I have to find it in an asymmetrical to fit my setup anyways. Maybe I'll talk to my gates rep and let him figure it out.

Buying my frame tomorrow!!!!$75 Schwinn cruiser from the 60's in gorgeous shape. Has a huge amount of space in the frame, the forward drop tube is way up near the front wheel... getting excited!!!!
Old 10-28-2016, 12:25 AM

Check with the auto parts stores on return policy. I actually have in the past kept belts clean and returned 4 of 5 I was checking for size.

A specialty business for machinery was not happy at all about any returns, but the Oriely's Auto Parts was easy to return.

One store allowed me to take my bike back to the parts shelf behind the counter and try them in the store, but that is probably a first and a last.

I'm not sure if your going to have all belt drive, but just know with the belt in wet weather it can tend to slip. I don't much ride in the rain, but for exclusive off road legal riding I cross a few steams and it takes a while to get it to dry if splash is big enough.

Rim brakes are also not good immediately after going through a stream, so better are higher up disc or completely sealed drum on one or both wheels.

When you get things assembling like to see pictures!

Last edited by MEASURE TWICE; 10-28-2016 at 12:27 AM.
Old 10-28-2016, 09:24 AM

Check out msrfan's build and it shows how to mount, he used whizzer type clutch, but you could mount the CVT like it...........curt

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread...ghlight=msrfan
Old 10-28-2016, 10:33 AM

Nice bike!!! It has my carb on it too!!
Old 10-28-2016, 11:11 AM

msrfan has built a lot,click on his name and will take you all his post.........Curt
Old 10-28-2016, 04:25 PM

Msrfan's Briggs 8HP:

http://motorbicycling.com/showpost.p...63&postcount=9
Old 10-28-2016, 05:47 PM

I've been looking at that one fora bit. Can't figure out where the tube is going from the valve cover. I was kinda wondering if it oils ok at that angle, i see it hadn't been rode recently( flat tire ). Im going to be using a different clutch and drive pulley set up because I already have it on a wrecked go cart. I was also thinking about using an air cleaner. Going to have to find one that fits since snow blowers don't have one. I was thinking I'd leave to governor gear in the crankcase to help splash oil but I don't know if I need a different scoop on the rod cap with such an extreme angle of the motor. Has anyone done this with the governor or does everyone remove it?
Old 10-29-2016, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass View Post
I was kinda wondering if it oils ok at that angle,
This one did OK.

Briggs Slant-Single Rat
http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.p...gle-rat.34480/