Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Bicycle Motor > DIY Home Built Motorized Bicycle (non kit)

DIY Home Built Motorized Bicycle (non kit) Post all about your home built rides here. Weedwacker motors, lawn mower engines ect. This area is for non kit builds

Old 10-25-2016, 12:51 AM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member

Default Can only seem to find big engines..bike ideas?

Well as if my 8 hp minibike wasn't stupid fast I've inherited 2 more snow blower motors. An 8 hp Tecumseh which only needed an o ring on the emulsification tube and a couple squirts of carb cleaner. The other is an 8 Briggs. That one runs good, it wore out the snowblower!!! Well both engines tall and bigger than what I need but it's what I got. Any ideas on bike frames that would fit one of these monsters. Going to run a CVT to jackshaft. Already have a c30 1 inch clutch from a go cart. This bike might be abit stupid but that's what makes it fun. Also have a disk brake from that go cart i was thinking about mounting on the jack shaft. Bike frame ideas???
Old 10-25-2016, 02:13 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: Can only seem to find big engines..bike ideas?

You could add a additional section of cylinder reducing the compression ratio and therefor less horsepower, you would be set then.

OK, just kidding!

Wondered if you do welding? There is a section of threads dedicated to chop....

Motorized Bicycle Welding, Fabrication and Painting - The Chop Shop Custom fabrication and projects, tanks, frames and more.

http://motorbicycling.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26

There are also some that put motorcycle engines on bicycles have have them look like the first Harley's. Others have interesting frames that are of themselves a one of a kind.

http://motorbicycling.com/attachment...6&d=1476899381

http://motorbicycling.com/album.php?...ictureid=10874

The drop loop or what ever they call it for fitting engine is a method for frame modification.

I've adjusted drop out slightly by cut and welding, but not the above. I wouold have but had only started welding when I was fitted the engine. Some put on a slant, but oil lubrication in crankcase must be considered if it can be done. I admit putting the engine on the platform I made for the engine has it contort to fit. Then the short spark plug has to have the screw top come off or the plug taken out and reinstalled after bolting down the engine.

MT

http://motorbicycling.com/attachment...5&d=1398150787 Mud holds it together!

Last edited by MEASURE TWICE; 10-25-2016 at 02:24 AM.
Old 10-25-2016, 07:20 AM

Check this one out......................Curt

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=33858
Old 10-25-2016, 04:10 PM

With a little skill and a welder, anything can fit anywhere.

https://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=60776
Old 10-25-2016, 10:17 PM

I have a 120 v Lincoln electric flux core(haven't got a gas kit yet). And a big arc and mig at work. The problem there is i have to find a steel bike frame or i cant do it. Oh what I'd give for a tig. I gotta spool gun on the mig but I hate aluminium!!!

Now are bike frames made of steel made of pretty normal gauges that I can buy from a normal metal supply? Heck I got a bunch of 3/4 tubing 14 gauge next to my house right now left over from another project.

Now I found a Columbia cruiser near my house for $50. Is there any info around that could show the frame material? The bike looks 1960's. I think it be steel right?

Last edited by Seabass; 10-25-2016 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Stupid spell checker changing my words!!!!!!!
Old 10-25-2016, 11:09 PM

I'd guess you mean specific type of steel if that is what it is. Using a magnet if it sticks tells you it is not aluminum alloy and would be steel. I found a picture on the internet of my bike frame I found rusted by the junk. You might see it as a JC Penny Foremost of the 60's era I think.

http://oldroads.com/arch/pic1_1120.html

Do a search on old road for your bike.

Last edited by MEASURE TWICE; 10-25-2016 at 11:12 PM.
Old 10-25-2016, 11:50 PM

Now am I going about this backwards maybe? I've built motor bikes before and I always started with the bike. Now picking the bike around the motor could be kinda interesting. What would you guys look for in a frame? I already have to shoehorn a monster into it. Going to run a c30 CVT with built in jackshaft. I'm wondering if I should run a frame mounted jackshaft to lessen the jerkiness on the CVT drive bracket that is only bolted to the APU mount on the engine. Kind was thinking about using a belt for this connection because it will operate smoother.

Anyway I want your opinions on frame selection. I don't want to be about done and find out the headset will not accept a fork that is ready for a disc brake. (Planning on).

Now the rear hub....id like to mount a gear to the hub not the spokes like the China kit. I think i remember sbp making a hub but I was kinda wondering if a hub set up for disc brakes may work? Hmm maybe I'll cross that bridge when i come to it. Anyways pour that knowledge on me, and wise arse comments too!!! Good entertainment.
Old 10-26-2016, 06:55 AM

What about a trike to deal with the weight/power?
Old 10-26-2016, 09:03 PM

I thought about a trike. Think there is one on Craigslist for 150 or so around here, but wouldn't that be kinda like building a go cart that doesn't handle? They seem like they would kinda suck at speed.
Old 10-26-2016, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEASURE TWICE View Post
I'd guess you mean specific type of steel if that is what it is. Using a magnet if it sticks tells you it is not aluminum alloy and would be steel. I found a picture on the internet of my bike frame I found rusted by the junk. You might see it as a JC Penny Foremost of the 60's era I think.

http://oldroads.com/arch/pic1_1120.html

Do a search on old road for your bike.

I would need a tig welder for cromoly. Not sure if the 75/25 mix gas i have would work either, doubt it would. Now I think cromoly was a high end frame material during the 1970's so a earlier bike would be heavy but mild steel. I may be wrong about this, i was born in 77 so I don't remember too much from that time. Do know the amc pacer may be the ugliest car ever made. The Ford maverick was nothing to brag about either!!lol