Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Bicycle Motor > DIY Home Built Motorized Bicycle (non kit)

DIY Home Built Motorized Bicycle (non kit) Post all about your home built rides here. Weedwacker motors, lawn mower engines ect. This area is for non kit builds

Old 12-23-2016, 03:36 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: Necro's 4 speed 125cc Lifan Build Thread

I built a 125cc 4speed. It topped well over 60mph and wasn't slow about doing it either.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:15 AM

I'm thinking of building a 670cc V-twin predator mini chopper. I've seen that thing in action on a rinkydink go kart with thinner tubing than a bicycle, it's pretty bad ass and with custom headers installed, it spits flame and sounds like a beast! Anyone interested in this death machine? May be a few months until I have the funds to pull this kinda thing off. The engine itself is 700, the bike could run me anywhere from 80 to 400, and then there's the torque-a-verter, running me around 250, the chain, the jackshaft (this is the reason for the disclaimer below), and finally, the throttle handle, shifters, grips, a comfortable seat, and a good ice cold bottle of virgils root beer sitting on the side of the tank. BTW, I also have an aosom cargo trailer rated to 180 pounds, so if anyone could give me any pointers as to how I could turn it into a soundbox with a cooler, it'd be much appreciated.

(Disclaimer: do not attempt this at home until I have verified that the engine and vehicle is safe[ish])

BACK TO YOU, NECRO!
Old 03-16-2017, 10:51 AM

The 670 V-twin is really overkill. If you want to go fast, 212cc predator or 125cc lifan have more than enough power without nearly as high a price tag.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:02 AM

Lightbulb Re: Necro's 4 speed 125cc Lifan Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNecromancer13 View Post
The 670 V-twin is really overkill. If you want to go fast, 212cc predator or 125cc lifan have more than enough power without nearly as high a price tag.
Yeah, well I live for the power of big engines on lightweight two wheeled vehicles, and I also love the speed, so I figure bicycle+670 V-twin+jackshaft=badass bike that can outrun cops? Not that I would, but you know. I have also seen how giant this engine is, and that's why I'm getting a chopper bike. Oh, forgot about the mounting plate: I'm likely going to have one fabricated so I can move the oil cooler to the front of the bike. That'll run me anywhere from possibly 80 to 350, depending on the thickness of the mount, how it will be placed on the frame, and how much support my jackshaft is going to need. Likely going to make myself a mount for that, tapping into the side of the mount for the lower seat post clamps.

Last edited by xXNightRiderXx; 03-16-2017 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Keyboard design error
Old 03-16-2017, 11:52 AM

Look up 600cc motorcycle frames on google images, then compare that to a bicycle frame. You're trying to build a motorcycle. Just buy one, it'll be much much cheaper in the long run.
Old 03-16-2017, 01:23 PM

Yeah, I am building a motorcycle, but note that I stated lightweight, and again, I saw this thing on a God damn kart with tubing HALF the size and thickness of a bicycle frame! I'm going a (slightly) safer route in choosing a mini chopper frame.

What I want is a bike barely anyone has dared build. The main application to this predator is power washers, lawn mowers, go karts, mini bikes, that sorta thing. I'm not a stupid dickbag who will try to go from zero to sixty in point five seconds. I know this engine is three times larger than a 212, and I also know that when experienced guys warn me against going with something so large, you are probably right and there are likely huge safety problems.

But im doing it anyways, and it's not out of idiocy. A 20hp engine is definitely not something to mess around with, as one mistake can be fatal. But I see it as a challenge, from every one of you who say I should just get a motorcycle, to build this safely and amaze you all. I'm planning on this engine being able to go at least 140 tops with a jackshaft. I might just replace the existing shaft with a longer one and support it from the seat tube to lower mounting costs. Oh, and all materials will be 2ga steel at the least (besides the frame).

P.S: I didn't mean to jack your thread necromancer. Have you been able to make any more progress?

Last edited by xXNightRiderXx; 03-16-2017 at 01:26 PM.
Old 03-16-2017, 02:02 PM

On a final note for that subject, which should have its own thread now,
Ok, you've got me excited.
Old 03-16-2017, 02:03 PM

Yea, the bike's almost done, but the other day I knocked it over and the wheel got wedged against something and bent, so now I need a new front wheel. I have taken it on a 20 mile test ride, however, and it didn't fall apart, as well as doing a speed test, current top speed is 68 mph, and it could go a lot faster if I changed the gearing.
Old 03-16-2017, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNecromancer13 View Post
Yea, the bike's almost done, but the other day I knocked it over and the wheel got wedged against something and bent, so now I need a new front wheel. I have taken it on a 20 mile test ride, however, and it didn't fall apart, as well as doing a speed test, current top speed is 68 mph, and it could go a lot faster if I changed the gearing.
Although you only have four gears. May I suggest building a rear wheel with a standard 7 speed freewheel cassette? Or, if that's too much, you could go as low as 3. Or perhaps an internal gear hub. I've heard of them going all the way to 14 gears inside those things!
Old 03-16-2017, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXNightRiderXx View Post
Although you only have four gears. May I suggest building a rear wheel with a standard 7 speed freewheel cassette? Or, if that's too much, you could go as low as 3. Or perhaps an internal gear hub. I've heard of them going all the way to 14 gears inside those things!
Actually, with the current gearing, 1st and 2nd gears are pretty much useless, topping out at about 5 mph and 12 mph. That's why I said I could go much faster if I wanted. I'd just switch out my 40t for a 20t and I'd double my top speed. Also, there's no way a standard bicycle chain would withstand the torque that the engine puts out, so shifting through the rear hub is out.

Tags
125cc, build, lifan