Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Bicycle Motor > DIY Home Built Motorized Bicycle (non kit)

DIY Home Built Motorized Bicycle (non kit) Post all about your home built rides here. Weedwacker motors, lawn mower engines ect. This area is for non kit builds

Old 10-21-2016, 08:51 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: Necro's 4 speed 125cc Lifan Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNecromancer13 View Post
Also I made a post of this on the motorized bicycle subreddit, and everyone thinks I am going to kill myself lol. They are not quite as open minded about larger engines as we are...
I get that people are looking out for you, but if I can ride my dumpster find no-name frame (chopped, extended, re-welded) with a gx200 and only a rear coaster, then you will have no problem with yours.

Looks good! Do Oregon laws allow an engine that size on a bicycle? (SC laws sure don't!)
Old 10-21-2016, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agreen View Post
I get that people are looking out for you, but if I can ride my dumpster find no-name frame (chopped, extended, re-welded) with a gx200 and only a rear coaster, then you will have no problem with yours.

Looks good! Do Oregon laws allow an engine that size on a bicycle? (SC laws sure don't!)
Na, Oregon laws are actually super restrictive, 34cc and 20 mph, 30 mph if you get a license and registration (which is impossible for a motorized bicycle anyways, and whether a 34cc engine could even do 30 mph is questionable) but where I ride they're not really enforced unless you are breaking other traffic laws which actually matter or otherwise being a jackass. I'm thinking of trying to bull**** my way through the homemade motorcycle registration process just in case, although it's probably not necessary and might not be possible to actually get it registered.
Old 11-06-2016, 02:07 PM

Yesterday I started to figure out how to route the chains under the engine. It was a pain but I figured it out eventually. Not exactly pretty, but I'll redo it later once I know if it's going to work and make it look nicer. The bike is going to have 4 chains: 2 to link the pedals to the jackshaft, 1 to link the motor to the jackshaft, and then a final drive from the jackshaft to the rear freewheel. I also test fitted the exhaust pipe header. I'm probably going to throw on a cheap muffler temporarily just to get it running, and add the motorcycle muffler later. BTW harbor freight chain breakers are ****, you're better off using a hammer and center punch.
Old 11-06-2016, 03:58 PM

To reassemble a chain, use a pair of vice grips with a tiny nut that's a slightly larger diameter than the chain's pin. It allows the pin to drop in fully, and you can control the depth using the screw on the vice grip. I've had good luck taking chain apart with a hammer and punch on a vise. I always end up breaking chain breakers.
Old 11-06-2016, 05:22 PM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/391332018388...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I got this on Ebay and am using it to break 35 Chain. It says 40 as well as other sizes but I never tried it on anything else. I don't have pedals anymore and it is legal off road only with OHV sticker.

Putting chain back together I use master link.

If you want to reassemble without master link, this tool does not do that, just so you know. Maybe someone knows how with this tool, but other types of tools specifically mention they do both, but not this one.

I was happy it did not distort the chain and also took apart the chain like butter.
Old 11-18-2016, 03:00 AM

Today I figured out how to convert the little foot peg gear shift into a lever to shift with my hand. I also redid the mounting brackets so that the engine sits lower in the frame, and made a few minor changes to the jackshaft.
Still to do: Add ball end to shift lever, add throttle, add gas tank (arrived in mail today), finalize jackshaft, add front and rear disc brakes, swap out wheels for mag wheels, add muffler, add headlights, add kill switch, test ride, take it all apart and paint/powder coat everything and put it all back together.
So... progress!

Old 11-18-2016, 05:34 AM

What is that bike in the background?
Old 11-18-2016, 11:41 AM

Those are my dad's 1970s BMW and Triumph which I will someday fix.
Old 11-22-2016, 02:01 AM

Getting closer...

New wheels arrived this afternoon. Found them when I got home from work. 6 hours later and it's almost 11:00 at night and I've gotten the disc rotors mounted on both wheels, put the wheels on the bike, and got the front disc caliper mounted and adjusted, although it still doesn't have a cable yet. Still got to figure out how to mount the rear caliper, since the bike frame doesn't have a bracket for it. I'd figure it out tonight, but the neighbors would probably call the police if I was in my garage at 2 AM blasting Guns N Roses and using noisy machines. Not to mention that my parents would probably throw me out of the house. Anyways, custommotoredbicycles was very specific about how you can't mount a disc brake onto the rear wheel of the wheelset I ordered due to the bearing sticking out too far, but where there's a will there's a way, and it wasn't really that hard to figure out. Harder was getting the wheel to fit into my frame, I had to make my own spacers for it. Let's see here, what else... Still need to figure out which gas tank to use and where it will go. Might have to redo the shift lever. Ordered a 4 pack of the wrong size exhaust gasket, didn't find out till they got here. Ordered a different one. Redid all the mounting hardware and added 2 more mounting points. Still waiting on the CNC twist throttle to arrive. Accidentally cut my hand on a piece of metal and didn't notice till I saw blood on the floor. Filed down the piece of metal. I'll stop rambling now and go to bed.
Old 11-22-2016, 01:54 PM

Bike looks good, getting there. Chain breaker you won't brake,LOL..............Curt

http://www.powersportparts.net/Produ...t56hoCWOfw_wcB

That was just the replacement punch, sorry here is the breaker.
https://www.amazon.com/Smith-Tools-C.../dp/B000UKEPCO

Got mine at Fleet Farm, but tractor supply will have them

Last edited by curtisfox; 11-22-2016 at 02:01 PM.

Tags
125cc, build, lifan