Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motor Bicycle Safety And Stolen Motorized Bicycle Alerts

Motor Bicycle Safety And Stolen Motorized Bicycle Alerts Share safety tips. Some of these bicycle engines will reach great speeds and need respect. Also post stolen motorized bicyclesand maybe someone will let you know if seen

Old 06-14-2016, 04:43 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: An Interesting Theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2door View Post
I'm with Baird on everything he said. I posted a thread some years ago about giving bikers a break and being aware of them whenever I'm in close proximity to them. We also share a lot of experiences so, Baird, I'm with you.

Biknut, I'm not sure what to say to your assumption that, "Stop signs are just suggestions". You and I are usually in agreement on things but this one I'll have to take exception to. If everyone adopted that philosophy we'd be in deep trouble no matter what we were driving or riding. The younger generations are all convinced that the world is all about them anyway and to offer them the option of obeying traffic signs or ignoring them is just asking for driving conditions to get worse than they already are. Stop signs are there for a reason and it isn't just to inconvenience anyone.

Tom
Well, of course you do have to apply common sense. I'm not advocating riding like a jerk. If there's traffic at the stop I'm going to wait my turn. I'm not about to barge out in front of a 4000 lb bone crusher. But if I'm just cruising, and can see a long way before I get to the stop that nothing is coming, that's what I'm talking about.

One day I was riding though Highland Park, one of the most upscale parts of town, and they have their own police force. Most people would tell you they're pretty strict. Where I was there were stop signs every block. There wasn't much traffic, and I was blowing every stop. After the third one in a row a Highland Park patrol car drove by me without so much as a look.

I'm not sure, but it's possible I was benefitting from electric bike privilege lol.
Old 06-14-2016, 10:17 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: An Interesting Theory

I am invisible, you can't see me, I can't out run my own farts, and everybody is aiming for me. That's how I ride all the time. I was using our local bike path but a near miss with a summer visitor on a recumbent trike, has me riding on the shoulder of the highway.

I have noticed that if I ride it like a motorcycle, out in the lane like a legitimate vehicle, I'm treated like one. As compared to when I hug the white line, which inspires illegal passing and other stupidity.