Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle Mechanical Components > Lighting and Electrical

Lighting and Electrical Things that go ZOT! Ignition components, batteries, lighting and accessories

Old 06-12-2016, 12:29 AM
Motorized Bicycle Member

Default Re: Anybody know anything about the magneto magnet

Now that everyone has help to get my bike running, I still have a question about timing. It's a one cylinder engine with a woodruff key on the magneto. You don't have a second cylinder to test against. I'm not knocking anybody, I just know with a 4 cylinder I can turn the distributor until it fires right. One cylinder timing? I looked at Cassius's thread on this and couldn't understand what or how he was doing this.

About changing out the carbs: why didn't the first one work,I think I bought the next higher upgrade from bikeberry, then went to a stock and almost just fine. Needle position? If someone could provide a credible/useful link on this subject so I can figure why it wasn't working would be helpful.

On this rebuilt motor, take off is slow, lit bit sluggish until 10mph, head temp 290+/-f

I appreciate everyone's help, and thanks go out to you

Troy
Old 06-12-2016, 01:06 AM
Old, Fat, and still faster than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrockie View Post
Now that everyone has help to get my bike running, I still have a question about timing. It's a one cylinder engine with a woodruff key on the magneto. You don't have a second cylinder to test against. I'm not knocking anybody, I just know with a 4 cylinder I can turn the distributor until it fires right. One cylinder timing? I looked at Cassius's thread on this and couldn't understand what or how he was doing this.

About changing out the carbs: why didn't the first one work,I think I bought the next higher upgrade from bikeberry, then went to a stock and almost just fine. Needle position? If someone could provide a credible/useful link on this subject so I can figure why it wasn't working would be helpful.

On this rebuilt motor, take off is slow, lit bit sluggish until 10mph, head temp 290+/-f

I appreciate everyone's help, and thanks go out to you

Troy
The only easy way to change timing on a chinadoll is by modification of the CDI for adjustable timing.
Any mechanical change would involve custom machining or offset keys or some such. Not enough gains to be worth the effort.
Do it with electronics.
Old 06-12-2016, 09:44 AM
Motorized Bicycle Member

I am: minus a CDI and a gas tank for my 2nd bike. Can anyone point me in right direction?

Thanks,
Troy
Old 06-12-2016, 12:54 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

my timing thread was to check timing for no-start problems - one would use a timing light to check it

standard carb is usually best for standard motors - any "performance" carb is always a lot of work
Old 06-30-2016, 02:17 AM
Old, Fat, and still faster than you

http://motorbicycling.com/archive/in...p/t-28439.html