Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle Mechanical Components > Lighting and Electrical

Lighting and Electrical Things that go ZOT! Ignition components, batteries, lighting and accessories

Old 05-31-2016, 01:23 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: Anybody know anything about the magneto magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kletus View Post
If the magnet doesn't fix it my next step is to cut the cdi box from the coil and wire the ignition coil straight to the magneto. If none of this works I will order a new coil and carb from Ebay. Only problem is the wait time and I'm ready to roll now and this thing misfires so bad its embarrassing to ride it down the street.
not sure here what is meant by 'coil' - do you have the super rat style ignition built as a unit inside the mag cover, or external CDI unit?

with external CDI, the only coil is in the stator and CDI can not be eliminated
Old 05-31-2016, 03:41 PM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member

The carb is a Keihin Carburetor Clone. I removed the main jet and #71 drill bit dropped through the hole, #70 drill bit would not fit so I assume it is .026 hole diameter. Humm, where to start. I also noticed that the brass tube that screws into the carb body that the main jet screws into was only finger tight.
Old 05-31-2016, 05:40 PM

That's called the emulsion tube. It should be snug, not over tightened.

Solder the jet hole shut first. The easiest way is with a plumber's torch. Clean the jet as well as you can, then with a pair of needle nose pliers, heat the jet slowly. Apply a couple seconds of heat, pull the jet out of the flame, try melting solder to the jet. If it didn't melt, reapply a couple more seconds of heat. You will not want to use very much solder. Just enough to fill the hole. Apply from the bottom (the bottom, as it sits in the carb, don't solder upside down lol). Don't apply too much heat. You don't want to melt the jet.

I actually had luck with chucking the micro bit in a drill, but it's recommended to use a pin vise and drill by hand. Do not exert much pressure. You dont want to snap a bit. Once drilled, make sure you get all the shavings out, then reassemble it and go for a test ride. Continue until you get good power. Once it stops sputtering and 4 stroking, don't go any smaller. You want the jet as large as possible without affecting the performance. Too lean and you'll burn up the cylinder. Start with a 72 first, then work down.

Once you get it dialed in, change the spark plug (gapped at 0.025", and go for another ride. You may need to re-jet after changing the plug.
Old 05-31-2016, 06:41 PM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member

A much appreciated thank you to all who replied to this thread. Its raining right now so I can't do much of anything. When I'm finished I'll post a reply as to how it turned out.

Best regards
Old 05-31-2016, 07:21 PM

Rainy days are perfect for shop work!

While I'm not familiar with your carb, I can say that if your emulsion tube is loose, it can attribute to your problem. Agreen gave good advice all around for sure.

Tinker and tune, tinker and tune. Before you know it, you could be like me... "Why spend all that money on a beat down used truck? For half a years insurance, I can build a NEW bike, that will do all I need."
Old 05-31-2016, 09:26 PM

before I got a pin vise, I used to chuck the jet into the drill press and offer in the bit held in needle nose pliers
Old 05-31-2016, 09:41 PM

I wonder if the emulsion tube was finger tight and sealing, or loose enough to cause problems. Sucking in air from above the fuel level, or was the level high enough to suck extra fuel around the threads?
Old 06-06-2016, 07:10 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

Question Re: Anybody know anything about the magneto magnet

Can anybody tell me in which position should the magnet be when its on tdc and if the magneto is supposed to be firing when the semi circle part of the magnet is straight up and down or the cut out section of the magnet is straight up and down. I'd appreciate any info. Cheers
Old 06-06-2016, 08:19 PM

look around the board here - somewhere I have posts with pics of how to make timing mark and other CDI/mag info
Old 06-06-2016, 10:03 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

OK cool. I'll have a look for it and let you know how it went. Thanx for that.