Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motor Bicycle Safety And Stolen Motorized Bicycle Alerts

Motor Bicycle Safety And Stolen Motorized Bicycle Alerts Share safety tips. Some of these bicycle engines will reach great speeds and need respect. Also post stolen motorized bicyclesand maybe someone will let you know if seen

Old 06-16-2016, 12:26 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: Do You Ride In The Middle of The Street?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
Yeah, road crap gathers at the curbside.

A strobe is eye catching but, in my mind, registers as a bicycle. I want a bright light with about a 6 inch lens so I read as a motorcycle at night.
In my experience, a front strobe makes you look more like an emergency vehicle or cop.

I have had cars in front of me pull over thinking they were being stopped, I regret that part, but hey, it's my life at stake.

Then again you are pretty vulnerable against an impaired driver no matter where you ride.

There are lots of ways to loose your license, but about DUI loss...

They still need to get around.
If impaired most can't ride one.
If they still do about the only damage they could do would be to themselves and maybe a small dent in a vehicle side panel.

Motorized Bicycles are a sobriety test in themselves ;-}
Old 06-17-2016, 02:17 AM

i use the bike lanes when provided, or stay to the right.
if i need to take a left turn, ill pedal across crosswalks to do so. i only run the road down super slow side streets(sometimes) and alleyways.
Old 06-17-2016, 03:56 PM

Registered as a moped, so I have to act like one. But if I'm on a road that is 35 or above and 1 lane, I ride in the right side of it, and keep a close watch on my rear view. I'll hit the shoulder to allow cars past me after I turn my head so they know I see them. So far I'm still alive. Cops have been good with this. Even wave sometimes.
Old 10-18-2016, 11:45 AM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member

Wink Re: Do You Ride In The Middle of The Street?

Here in Maine, you are supposed to ride as close to the right hand side safely.

What I do, is I'm always checking my mirros to see if anybody is behind. If a curve is coming up and I do'nt think it is safe for the car, I will ride the center line, then when it is clear, I will motion them by.

I always take the slow roads, because the most of the drivers around here do not anyway in **** drive the speed limit.

Old 10-19-2016, 05:45 PM

I stay hard over and avoid roads without a shoulder for an escape route.
Cars here will either go waay out to the left (too far, dangerous) or miss you by an inch (too close, also dangerous).
If a couple cars are dawdling along afraid to pass, I get waay over til they do.
I've gotten about 4 flats riding to the right, but none since I put tire liners in.
Thank goodness for tuffy liners.
Old 10-21-2016, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legwon View Post
i use the bike lanes when provided, or stay to the right.
if i need to take a left turn, ill pedal across crosswalks to do so. i only run the road down super slow side streets(sometimes) and alleyways.
Conditions change constantly when riding, it's the riders responsibility to judge in advance what is best for them and others like any driving.

Here in AZ the law is basically "If you CANT keep up with traffic, move right".

That's why I started building bikes that can easily hit 35mph (56kph) in like 10 seconds off the line with just 50cc worth of power through the magic of gears like this ;-}

I can ride those 35mph roads no matter fast traffic travels up to ~45mph and be able to keep up AND stop with traffic as well.

Bike lanes are sure handy but can be a double edge sword.
Using them to your advantage to pass on the right tends to annoy drivers, especially if you have been riding in a traffic lane awhile but that doesn't mean I won't do it ;-}

I was scared like Legwon at first and used the crosswalk at a light to make a left hand turn but that got old and time consuming in short order so I looked up the law and that was that.

I travel like a motorcycle on the road with the added bonus of using the bike lanes and trails on my new machines ;-}

Last edited by KCvale; 10-21-2016 at 01:20 PM.