Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motor Bicycle Safety And Stolen Motorized Bicycle Alerts

Motor Bicycle Safety And Stolen Motorized Bicycle Alerts Share safety tips. Some of these bicycle engines will reach great speeds and need respect. Also post stolen motorized bicyclesand maybe someone will let you know if seen

Old 05-22-2016, 07:41 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

Default Do You Ride In The Middle of The Street?

Odd question but I was just thinking about this. With a motor on your bike do you ride in the middle of the street or closer to the curb where non-motored bikes typically ride?

Which is safer, middle of the road or on the side?

I was also thinking about the safety of slow motored bicycles vs faster cruising motorcycles.
Old 05-22-2016, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Do You Ride In The Middle of The Street?

Motorized or not, it's still a bicycle. Ride it like one and stay out of the way of faster traffic. There are few streets or places that have speed limits that most motorized bicycles can keep up with. Holding up traffic isn't going to win many friends or admirers and certainly isn't going to do this hobby any good. Stay to the extreme right and pretend you're invisible because you are to most other drivers.

Tom

Last edited by 2door; 05-22-2016 at 08:51 PM.
Old 05-22-2016, 08:04 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

Thanks! This is what I was thinking. I was also looking at the alternate routes I would take to get to place in the neighborhood to avoid a lot of traffic and to reduce left hand turns into traffic.
Old 05-22-2016, 08:06 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

At the risk of catching major flak, I ride the sidewalks a lot, but there's nobody on them where I live, and it's safer for others for me to stay off the bike path with all it's blind curves. When I ride on the street, which is most of the time, I hug the white line in fear.

We, i.e. you and I and everyone else on a motorbike is invisible. Drivers simply don't see you, and if they do, don't realise how fast you're going. I ride where I am safest at that immediate moment, without regard to others sensibilities. I don't care who was offended by my noisy twostroke on the sidewalk, I'm going home in one piece. So long as I'm not endangering others, or being a nuisance, I don't see a problem with it.

In all fairness though, most of my riding is on open highway, with little to no shoulder, so I'm basically IN traffic moving three times my speed. Fun stuff.
Old 05-22-2016, 08:52 PM

Stay as far to the right as you can and stay out of cars way as much as you can. Ride it like a bicycle you don't have to pedal (because that's what it is) not like a motorcycle. If you have to, stop, and wait until its safe to go.
Old 05-22-2016, 09:04 PM

It depends on the state (and the kind of road you're on too). Here in SC, a motorized bicycle is considered a moped. It has to be 50cc or less, have a top speed of 30, and it's required to have a mirror, headlight, tail light, and a brake light that operates when you apply the brakes. You apparently do not require a "moped" tag if it has pedals. Those tags are for scooters without pedals. Anyway, I find that if I ride along the white line, even with the lights on, that motorists will get as close to you as possible. There is a 3' law here for bicycles, but most people don't obey it. Riding on the sidewalk is illegal, even without a motor. Even bike trails (which this area is riddled with) do not allow motor vehicles of any sort.

Around here, your options are to ride on the sidewalk and get a ticket (which happens), ride along the white line and have regular near-death experiences, or ride in the middle and hold up some traffic. It forces people to actually change lanes to go around you, and I'm fine with that.

I'll also say that in the Charleston area, mopeds are very common, so people are used to them. You can ride them on a suspended license for 6 months, and you also can not get a DUI on one (somehow). They're referred to as"liquor-cycles". This makes it very desirable to ride one to some. I don't feel bad for holding up traffic. It's perfectly legal to ride, it's my damn right to do so, and if I inconvenience someone by having to put their turn signal on and move their steering wheel 1", then they shouldn't be driving anyway.

And no, I don't ride drunk. I wear a helmet, gloves, jacket, and boots, which is the same gear I wear on my motorcycle.
Old 05-22-2016, 09:37 PM

I can keep up with traffic so I ride it like a motorcycle and wear full gear. If there is a marked shoulder I'll ride in that. Riding over to the right is an invitation for idiot drivers to pass you within inches. I also have to avoid road bumps and holes etc. so I need room to maneuver. I always signal etc. and will pull over to the right when needed. I am a very courteous rider.

Never under power on the sidewalks in my city.

over 40 years motorcycle riding street experience
Old 05-22-2016, 10:57 PM

There are some one way streets that have a 35mph speed limit here and I often ride in the lane with traffic on those streets. Also, I will cut across the road when it's clear to get into the turn lane if I need to turn sometimes, but for the most part I ride in the bike lane or close to it moving over into the road to pass peddlers. Always use hand signals in traffic.

Last edited by Tyler6357; 05-22-2016 at 10:59 PM.
Old 05-23-2016, 12:26 AM
Motorized Bicycle Member

I was just thinking that if 50cc scooters are allowed and typically are always in the middle of the lane, then why not motorized bicycles?

I've decided that I definitely want running lights on the front and on the back so that I'm more visible. I also want a strong enough motor to keep up with traffic, at the very least be able to do 5 mph under the posted speed limit.
Old 05-23-2016, 02:19 AM

My bike tops out at 33 mph on level ground and if the road is slightly downhill I can go 38 mph pretty easy but cars have a tendency to speed too. If you want to go much faster than this make certain you have a strong steel frame with good welds, upgraded brakes, and mag rims or something extra and above a standard bicycle rim. Never forget that these are bicycles not motorcycles.